- Organization: UNHCR – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Kampala
- Grade: Mid level – P-3, International Professional – Internationally recruited position
- Occupational Groups:
- Operations and Administrations
- Human Settlements (Shelter, Housing, Land, Property)
- Closing Date: 15 MAY 2023
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a worldwide organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights, and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people. They work to make sure that everyone has the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge, having fled violence, persecution, or war at home. UNHCR has been setting essential protection and assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, internally displaced, and stateless people since 1950. They have a presence in many countries around the world, and give information and assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, and stateless people.
– Conduct reviews and ensure the selection of potential sites is done in accordance with the Master Plan approach to accommodation planning taking into consideration protection concerns, national legislation, environmental considerations, proper density, and access to basic services including water, hydrological concerns, socio/economic issues, and cultural inclusion and HLP matters.
– Confirm that settlement layouts respond to biological topography and drainage ways of the site to reduce construction and maintenance costs.
Coordination and Administration
– Deliver powerful leadership in providing that UNHCR¿s operation within the AOR is technically sound in the field of settlement planning to best meet the needs of POC.
– Liaise with Government, line pastorates and relevant authorities and counterparts to ensure strong coordination and partnership.
-Ensure that settlement goals are aligned with regional, national land use plans and planned developments.
– Collaborate and correspond with all functional units in UNHCR and relevant technical actors in the feasibility and technical assessments, planning and development of sites, including protection, environment, Health, Education, water and sanitation and, in order to declare the overall planning process, carry out appropriate assessments and mapping exercises such as environmental influence assessment, useable land area assessment, mapping of services, mapping of host communities, livelihood reviews, etc.
– Ensure a rights-based approach in physical planning/ master plan, support to active participation of communities and promote community-based strategies in the planning and implementation of activities.
APPLY ALSO: Clinical Officers
- 6 years relevant background with an Undergraduate degree;
- or 5 years appropriate experience with a Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
- Area(s) of Education Architecture; Urban Planning; Civil / Structural Engineering; or another appropriate domain
- Managerial and technical capability to conduct a specialist team in emergency and/or protracted situations.
- Previous similar job background in the humanitarian territory planning/infrastructure field,
- knowledge of specialized drawing software, GIS tools, and an capability to produce technical plans, BQ¿s, specifications, and behavior training.