Brief details about UN jobs in Geneva – STAFF ASSISTANT:
- Organization: UNEP – United Nations Environment Programme
- Location: UN jobs in Geneva
- Grade: Administrative support – GS-6, General Service – No need for Higher Education – Locally recruited position
- Occupational Groups:
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2023-07-19
Information about the organization that has offered the UN jobs in Geneva – STAFF ASSISTANT job:
The( ) is an association established in 1972 to guide and harmonize environmental activities within the United Nations (UN) system. UNEP works closely with its 193 Member States and agents from civil society, businesses, and other major groups and stakeholders to address environmental challenges via the , the world’s highest-level decision-making body on the environment. UNEP advances international cooperation on environmental issues, provides guidance to UN organizations, and encourages the international scientific neighborhood to participate in formulating policy for many of the UN’s environmental projects. UNEP’s efforts are focused on varying the triple planetary crisis of climate change, nature and biodiversity loss, and corruption and waste to achieve the
Tasks of UN jobs in Geneva – STAFF ASSISTANT:
- Helps in the overall administration of the Executive Office i.e. provides substantive and administrative support in managing priorities and work flow of the Executive Secretary and of the work unit, coordinates and monitors multiple and diverse movements and work processes to ensure that management directives and decisions are properly carried out and products delivered in a timely manner.
- Compiles and examines basic data from a variety of sources (including Umoja), summarizing and presenting conclusions for review by the Executive Secretary.
- Functions as a communications link between supervisor and senior staff, on behalf of supervisor, keeps others informed by conveying directives, reports, status updates and other relevant information, brings sensitive and urgent matters to the attention of the Executive Secretary.
- Takes full duty for time management and scheduling on behalf of the Executive Secretary with appropriate consultation as required, effectively prioritizes and resolves related conflicts and competing demands.
- Launches representational duties on behalf of the Executive Secretary, to include serving as first point of contact and liaison with senior officials internally and externally.
- Screens and prioritizes all incoming correspondence, compiles relevant background documents and references, recognizes issues requiring the Executive Secretary’s attention and refers others to relevant officers for appropriate disposition, monitors and follows up on actions to be taken.
- Researches, compiles and summarizes background materials for use in preparation of reports, briefs, and speeches, scan reports from specialized agencies, as well as newspapers, magazine, periodicals and other information sources to identify articles of interest to the Executive Secretary.
- Independently manages a wide range of complex information requests and inquiries (e.g. answer requests requiring file or other research), responds, or drafts responses, to a diverse range of correspondence and other communications.
- Helps the Executive Secretary in presentations to intergovernmental bodies and other meetings, researching issues, preparing briefing notes, slides and subject files, gathering relevant documentation.
- Assists in servicing of the meetings of the Conference of the Parties to the BRS Conventions and provides assistance to personal Bureau members.
- Establishes/improves administrative processes and systems to ensure smooth functioning of the department, including filing (paper and electronic) systems.
- Supervises work of office support staff, establishes priorities and deadlines, assigns work and reviews outputs upon completion, trains office support staff in administrative, protocol and other relevant procedures
- Organizes official receptions, meetings, handling all necessary arrangements (e.g. room reservations, guest/participant lists, invitations, catering, seating arrangements, background documentation, special equipment).
- Prepares, processes and classifies confidential information.
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Helps with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Manages a wide range of administrative duties/processes (e.g. travel arrangements, visa applications, expense statements, telecommunications charges, equipment purchase, service and supply requisitions, conference room bookings).
- Exercises quality control operation for all outgoing documents, proofreads and edits texts for adherence for format, grammar, punctuation and style.
- Uses standard word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports.
- Supervises, updates and further develops internal databases, updates website, generates a variety of standard and non-standard statistical and other reports from various databases.
- Conducts other duties as assigned.
Qualifications of UN jobs in Geneva – STAFF ASSISTANT:
- A high school diploma or equal is required.Work Experience
- A minimum of seven (7) years of appropriate working experience in general office support or related area is required.
- At least three (3) years’ background in an executive office setting supporting senior officials within a large international organization similar to the United Nations is required.
- Background with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems is desirable.
- One (1) year or more of background in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Geneva, please click here.