Brief details about UN jobs in Kenya – Disability Inclusive DRR Consultant:
- Organization: UNDRR – United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: Consultancy – Consultant – Contractors Agreement
- Occupational Groups:
- Human Rights
- Disaster Management (Preparedness, Resilience, Response and Recovery)
- Managerial positions
- Disability Rights
- Closing Date: 2023-07-02
Information about the organization that has offered the UN jobs in Kenya – Disability Inclusive DRR Consultant job:
The United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) is the lead UN agency for the coordination of disaster risk reduction. UNDRR works globally towards the prevention of new disaster hazard and the reduction of existing disaster risk, helping the Sustainable Development Goals, the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, and other global growth goals. The organization envisions a world where disasters no longer threaten the well-being of people and the future of the planet. UNDER performs transparently, focusing on effective, efficient, and quality organizational performance and program delivery to guarantee and improve the impact of its work
Tasks of UN jobs in Kenya – Disability Inclusive DRR Consultant:
The advisor will be responsible for developing an Issue Brief with key recommendations that integrates the Africa region key findings from the Global Survey and builds on the report “Including Persons with Disabilities in Disaster Risk Reduction: A Research Study from Eight Countries of Africa, Asia, and South/Central America” that includes analysis from Niger, Uganda, and Zimbabwe.
The consultant will also help new countries to be analysed for this Issue Brief which includes Cameroon, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Togo. These countries are part of the joint UNDRR, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), The Organisation of African, Caribbean and Pacific States (OACPS) Intra-ACP Natural Disaster Risk Reduction Programme funded beneath the 11th European Development Fund. The Brief will include policy recommendations for member states and other organizations to use in facilitating DRR/M activities. Work Assignments include:
- Perform a desk review of existing literature on the status of disability inclusive disaster risk reduction with a focus on Africa; and the 4 countries; Submit the literature review
- Project Inception Phase: desk check, preliminary analysis and development of data collection methodology
- Perform data collection with Organisations of Persons with Disabilities (OPDs), National Disaster
- Administration Authorities (NDMAs), and other stakeholders in the 4 countries 10-12 key informant interviews/focus group discussions.
- Study and Development of Issue Brief: consolidation of findings which includes the 4 new countries and the current ones (Niger, Uganda Zimbabwe), 7 in total. The Issue Brief should include recommendations for stakeholders (OPDs, Governments, Development partners, private sector etc). Incorporate feedback on the draft report, finalize the report, develop key messages and a presentation of key findings.
- Final Issue Brief: 15-20 pages Issue Brief presented.
Qualifications of UN jobs in Kenya – Disability Inclusive DRR Consultant:
- Advanced University degree in international development studies, humanities, social sciences, disability studies or related field is needed. A first level university degree with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- At least 7 years of appropriate experience researching or working on advocacy or research on disability inclusion, the rights of persons with disabilities, or inclusive disaster risk reduction is required.
- Background in analytical work using MS Form results and writing reports is desirable.
- Fluency in English is needed.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Kenya, please click here.