Brief details about UN jobs in South Sudan – Water and Sanitation Technician :
- Organization: UNV – United Nations Volunteers
- Location: UN jobs in South Sudan
- Grade: Level not specified – Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Technology, Electronics and Mechanics
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Closing Date: 2023-06-28
The( ) program is a UN organization that encourages peace and development through volunteerism throughout the world. The program proposes volunteer opportunities in 150 countries and has volunteers from 160 countries with eclectic backgrounds and perspectives. work in different fields such as disaster reply, society empowerment, and endurable livelihoods. If you are curious in serving in a UNV program, you can find a guide to UN volunteer jobs on volunteerforever.com.
UN jobs in South Sudan – Water and Sanitation Technician tasks:
The duties of UN jobs in South Sudan – Water and Sanitation Technician are:
- Installing, operating, and sustaining, servicing, and repairing water supply systems, water treatment plants, water storage facilities, sewerage network, sewerage treatment plants, pumps, control panels of all plants/pumps and other allied equipment of new construction projects mission wide.
- Troubleshooting on control panels of incinerators and other packaged equipment such as pumps.
- Field Remote Infrastructure Monitoring (FRIM) equipment installation.
- Organizing and conducting performance reviews of the service contracts related to operation and maintenance of water and wastewater infrastructure mission wide.
- Conducting surveys and preparing technical reports, drawings, and material quantities.
- Contributing to the planning of effective and efficient water and water treatment facilities in the field offices.
- Calculating material requirements and tools or equipment needed to perform the job.
- Seeing possible defects in plumbing and mechanical systems.
- Carrying out scheduled periodic and emergency maintenance services on all installations and equipment.
- Demand planning and asset administration for spare parts for water supply and sewerage works equipment mission wide as necessary tools and equipment to support the water and sanitation operations for the mission
- Accepting and acting on material requests for plumbing items and related equipment from field offices.
- Finishing paperwork to request Product Identification numbers (PID) from HQ for items not already listed in the Material Master Database.
- Preparing simple water and sanitation installations and providing the necessary diagrams for laying water supply and sewerage pipelines installations and maintenance work, solar power, and incinerator system.
- Running regular physical, chemical and bacteriological water quality tests to comply with WHO Guidelines.
- Building capacity through coaching, mentoring and formal on-the-job training of national staff and counterparts.
- Conducting any other related water and sanitation duties as needed or assigned.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are needed to:
- Amplify their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be familiarized with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ngoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Advance capacity development activities and transfer of skills to national personnel during the assignment.
- Boost or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- Can complete the UN protocol on environmental health and safety in the workplace and inside camp.
UN jobs in South Sudan – Water and Sanitation Technician qualifications:
The requirements of UN jobs in South Sudan – Water and Sanitation Technician are:
- 3 years of background in the construction industry as water and sanitation technician is requried.
- Background in the use and installation of plumbing mechanical equipment, including pumps, packaged water and wastewater treatment plants and tools required.
- Background in tracing and repairing system faults required.
- Capability to read blueprints and sketches required.
- Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in various MS Office application (excel, word, power point) and other IT applications and office technology equipment.
- Have affinity with or good in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- Sound security awareness.
Technical/vocational diploma in Water supply, pumps, pumping stations/networks, sewage systems, troubleshooting and maintenance of mechanical parts of different water and sanitation equipment.
English, Level: Fluent, Needed
If you are looking for more UN jobs in South Sudan, please click here.