Brief details about UN jobs in Switzerland – (PSI) – Africa Implementation Officer:
- Organization: UNEP – United Nations Environment Programme
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: Level not specified – Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Physics and Mathematics
- Banking and Finance
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Closing Date: 2023-07-09
Information about the organization that has offered the UN jobs in Switzerland – (PSI) – Africa Implementation Officer job:
The( ) is an association established in 1972 to guide and harmonize environmental activities within the United Nations (UN) system. UNEP works closely with its 193 Member States and agents from civil society, businesses, and other major groups and stakeholders to address environmental challenges via the , the world’s highest-level decision-making body on the environment. UNEP advances international cooperation on environmental issues, provides guidance to UN organizations, and encourages the international scientific neighborhood to participate in formulating policy for many of the UN’s environmental projects. UNEP’s efforts are focused on varying the triple planetary crisis of climate change, nature and biodiversity loss, and corruption and waste to achieve the
Tasks of UN jobs in Switzerland – (PSI) – Africa Implementation Officer:
The African insurance industry and stakeholders sign-up to the Nairobi Declaration on Sustainable Insurance and subsequent engagement in:
- Developing Insurance SDGs at the global level, roadmaps at the insurance industry level, insurance portfolio targets at the company level, definition of sustainable insurance business, and height tools including an Insurance SDGs calculator
- Developing commitments, processes and targets to transition towards net-zero insurance underwriting portfolios
- Developing procedures to better assess, manage and disclose climate and nature-related physical, transition and litigation risks in insurance portfolios in line with the TCFD and emerging TNFD recommendations
- The Sustainable Insurance Facility for V20 partner countries
- The PSI global report on environmental liability and sustainable insurance
- The revised PSI global sustainability guide for non-life insurance business
- The PSI global report on the life & health insurance industry and sustainable growth
- Well-coordinated communications to the PSI African Network on key outputs of PSI projects and activities
- At least 5 PSI occasions and webinars fostering sustainable insurance thinking and practices in Africa
- At least 6 new PSI signatory companies and 3 new PSI supporting institutions in Africa
- A sustainable insurance training programme for the African insurance industry, taking into account, among others, key findings and outputs of the various PSI projects and activities mentioned above
Specific tasks and duties :
- Specifically, the Consultant will help the PSI Programme Leader and the wider PSI/UNEP FI team in carrying out the following main duties and responsibilities, in coordination with the FSD Africa team:
- Developing and overseeing priority work areas in the PSI global work programme and their links and contributions to the sustainable insurance agenda in Africa, the UNEP Medium-Term Strategy 2022-2025 and appropriate global frameworks, particularly the UN Sustainable Development Goals, Paris Climate Agreement, Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, and the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework. This will include, for example:
- Developing practical roadmaps for African insurers to embrace ESG/sustainability frameworks and to align their businesses with Insurance SDGs
- Developing and enforcing training programmes for the management and executives of African insurers to build capacity for the implementation of these sustainability roadmaps
- Arranging PSI Africa Network meetings and events that shape the sustainable insurance agenda in Africa and support the implementation and delivery of the PSI global work programme in Africa
- Preparing for, overseeing, communicating and participating in PSI leadership events and knowledge-sharing webinars on best practice and emerging practice on sustainable insurance
- Improving the African insurance industry and stakeholder sign-up to the Nairobi Declaration on Sustainable Insurance.
- Growing the PSI African membership by recruiting PSI signatory firms and PSI supporting institutions, and onboarding them to the PSI Initiative
- Coordinating with UNEP FI thematic leads (i.e. climate change, biodiversity & ecosystems, positive impact), UNEP FI regional coordinators (i.e. Africa & Middle East, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America & the Caribbean, North America) and the FSD Africa team on PSI movements and UNEP FI financial sector-wide activities relevant to Africa
- Overseeing the PSI Africa Network communications across projects and activities, including social media promotion and updating the PSI and UNEP FI websites
- Engaging with policymakers and insurance regulators in Africa to promote widespread action on ESG/sustainability problems, and to advocate for the adoption of ESG/sustainability frameworks in policy, legislation and regulation, as required.
The Consultant will report to and be managed by the PSI Programme Leader with overall responsibility rest with the Head UNEP FI.
Qualifications of UN jobs in Switzerland – (PSI) – Africa Implementation Officer:
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in risk management, insurance, finance, business, development economics, environmental / sustainability issues, international relations, or related fields. A first-level university degree in variety with ten (10) years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible background preferably in the insurance industry or the broader financial sector in Africa and/or organizations involved in promoting sustainable insurance, investment, finance and/or business strategies and operations in Africa. Prior experience at the international level is beneficial. Proven experience in project management is required.
- The successful nominee should have strong analytical and programme management skills, excellent spoken and written communication skills; should be able to carry out manage multiple projects and activities in an organised and timely manner; and should be a team player and able to communicate and interact effectively with various internal and external stakeholders in the private and public sectors, across multiple cultural and professional backgrounds
- Language: English is the working language of the PSI and UNEP FI Secretariat, so oral and written fluency in English is needed. Fluency in other languages, particularly official UN languages, is highly desirable.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Switzerland , please click here.