Brief Details Welfare Officer Job at UNV – UNAMA in Afghanistan:
- Description of assignment title: Welfare Officer
- Assignment country: Afghanistan
- Expected start date: 01/07/2023
- Sustainable Development Goal: 16. Peace, justice and strong institutions
- Volunteer category: International UN Volunteer Specialist
- DoA reserved for persons with disabilities: No
- Host entity: UNAMA
- Type: Onsite
- Duration: 3 months (with possibility of extension)
- Number of assignments: 1
- Duty stations: Kabul
- Age: 27 – 80
- Nationality: Candidate must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan of UNAMA is a UN Special Political Mission tasked with assisting the people of Afghanistan. UNAMA was established on 28 March 2002 by United Nations Security Council Resolution 1401.
Apply also: Facility Management Associate Job at UNDP Afghanistan
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Establish, administer, and manage welfare activities in full compliance with the UN rules and regulations;
- Develop welfare and recreation programmes in accordance with SOP/DPKO guidelines and implementation of welfare activities in the Mission;
- Work with the Staff Counselling and Welfare team to make improvements in the working
environment and improve the moral and team spirit of UNAMA personnel.
- Develop an Annual Welfare Work Plan/Budget with clearly defined goals, actions, and criteria to evaluate performance.
- Provide financial accountabilities for all funds received, held or disbursed for welfare activities, and be accountable as well for all facilities or other property received or under his/her control for implementing welfare and recreation activities;
- Ensure that all Mission components benefit from welfare and recreation activities and facilities, including surveys, and conduct analysis of information and data from mission personnel;
- Keep record of all equipment, material and furniture purchased by welfare funds;
- Supervise recreation activities, restaurant catering and welfare work according with UN rules and regulation;
- Inspect and maintain all premises and equipment used by personnel, under strict quality control;
- Arrange for quarterly meetings of the Welfare and Recreation Committee. Prepare the minutes of the different meetings.
- Ensure gym, restaurants, and other welfare facilities are running accordingly and with the appropriate services maintenance;
- Support in the management of funds generated from contractor’s contributions to UNAMA and allocate/utilize in accordance with guidance from the Welfare Committee;
- Arrange for quarterly meetings of the Welfare and Recreation Committee.
- Identify contractual arrangements required to support staff welfare, particularly the provision of catering services and manage the performance of these contracts following implementation by the Procurement Section;
- Establishment or organization of recreational activities such as welfare movie nights, quiz nights, DJ nights, purchase of gym and sport equipment.
- Develop a content for Welfare bulletin where UN personnel can properly follow up the upcoming events;
- Provide information about welfare activities through proper advertising and promotion of the recreational activities;
- Organize weekly events such as Happy Hour and special events at the occasion of UN International Days;
- Establish liaison within UN Missions and other Agencies regarding recreation activities and counselling officers;
- Creatively develop new ideas and plan of welfare and recreational activities to ensure that activities respect local culture/traditions.
- Work closely with the Regional Area Officers (RAOs) and regional welfare and recreational committees to organize events and activities.
- Maintain welfare administrative files and official records.
- Conduct staff surveys on welfare and recreation to ascertain that the work plan and programme accurately reflects the staff needs.
- In support of the Staff Counselling and Welfare Unit and as may be required to back up staff during leave/crisis situations, as required.
Required Skills, Education and Experience:
- 5 years of experience in 5 years’ experience in social assistance, management/ business administration/psychology and operation of welfare and recreational activities to support staff working in difficult environments;
- Previous experience in welfare matters, event management or logistics required or financial management skills;
- Logistic Operational and Contract Management skills.
Area(s) of expertise:
- Administration, Logistics and Inventory, Communication
- Driving license
- English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in Social Assistance, Logistics, Business Administration, Event Management, Psychology, or similar field.