Swisscontact is a Swiss non-profit organization that focuses on promoting economic, social, and ecological development. The organization was founded in 1959 by the Swiss private sector, and its headquarters are located in Zurich, Switzerland.
Swisscontact works with partners in developing countries and emerging economies to provide expertise, advice, and training in the areas of economic development, vocational education and training, and the promotion of entrepreneurship. The organization’s goal is to help people in these countries to create sustainable economic opportunities, reduce poverty, and improve their living conditions.
Swisscontact operates in over 30 countries around the world, with a particular focus on Africa, Asia, and Latin America. The organization works closely with local communities, governments, and businesses to identify and implement development projects that are tailored to local needs and contexts.
Some of the specific areas of focus for Swisscontact include:
- Supporting small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) through business development services, access to finance, and market linkages
- Promoting sustainable tourism and the conservation of natural resources
- Strengthening vocational education and training systems and promoting skills development
- Empowering women and youth through entrepreneurship and economic opportunities
- Supporting the development of value chains and agricultural markets.
Overall, Swisscontact aims to contribute to the achievement of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through its work to promote sustainable economic development and social progress.