- Location: Afghanistan
- Organization: UNHCR
- Category: Reporting
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: N/A
- Vacancy No: JR2328324
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Experience: N/A
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Gender: Male/Female
- Deadline: 9 November 2023
- Kabul-CO, Afghanistan
- time type
- Full time
- posted on
- Posted Today
- job requisition id
Only candidates who are not nationals of the country of assignment are eligible to apply to this position
E (most hardship)
Non FamilyDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
* Staff members will not normally serve in International Professional positions in the country of their nationality. In addition, in case of a first appointment upon recruitment, the assignment must be outside the staff member’s country of nationality.
In practical terms this means that you are not eligible to apply for International Professional vacancies advertised in the country where you are national of.
Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
November 9, 2023
Standard Job Description
Associate Reporting Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
Under the overall guidance of the Senior Communications or Donor Relations Officer, the Associate Reporting Officer contributes to production, editing and quality control of reports for his/her Area of Responsibility (AOR). By systematization and sharing of accurate and timely information, the incumbent promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNHCR.
S/he establishes close contacts with all UNHCR sections in the AOR to gather and analyse information. S/he maintains effective professional relationships with a wide variety of donors, operational and implementing partners, UN agencies, and other stakeholders to gather, analyse and disseminate information about activities of UNHCR and its partners.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Keep abreast of all developments in the country operation/ bureau/ division or other entity to prepare appropriate briefings and reports.
– Draft regular daily, weekly and monthly up-date for internal and external audience (including donors and media).
– Consolidate and analyse data on programme implementation, achievements and indicators in all sectors under AoR in order to facilitate the preparation of periodic reports and activity-specific reports as may be required and ensure timeliness of such reports.
– Participate in annual reporting and planning process.
– Work closely with Information Management to ensure accurate and attractive data presentation, including maps.
– Support the monitoring of UNHCR’s partnerships and consolidate information about Partners’ activities.
– Assist in the preparation of briefing kits and presentations for missions and visitors.
– Assist in the preparation of reports for donors, in compliance with specific donor requirements. Make efforts to enhance donor satisfaction by ensuring quality reporting on programmatic results to donor. Assist in providing visibility for donors’ contributions to UNHCR.
– Research/analyse, interpret and also, monitor and review information and data from regular and wide variety of sources for internal and external reporting.
– Prepare and distribute minutes of meetings.
– Provide technical support, training and clarification on UNHCR’s reporting policies and deadlines.
– May prepare press releases; conceptualize, draft and edit stories for external communications products and support all aspects of its production, including fact checking, proofreading and quality control.
– Support UNHCR inter-agency coordination initiatives and leadership through provision of reporting and secretariat functions where relevant.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2/NOB – 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Journalism; Public Administration; Communication;
International relations; Political Science; Law;
or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Experience in conducting, participating in and reporting on meetings, and drafting reports. Experience in programme/project development, planning, implementation, and/or monitoring.
Experience in a field mission and at Headquarters / in the UN Common System and country context. Experience undertaking operational and analytical work in the field of international affairs, international security, humanitarian affairs, development or journalism. Donor relations or liaison with media.
DM-Data collection methodologies
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
• Desirable for candidate to possess experience in UNHCR, or the UN system and the humanitarian community..
• Excellent writing and analytical skills a must.
• Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
• Ability to identify and circumvent risks associated with cultural, religious, and political sensitivities.
• Ability to produce reporting tools, such as operational updates/profiles/situation/ reports, factsheets, infographics, and tables.
• Ability to work under significant time pressure and produce innovative and creative solutions faced with fast-paced changing circumstances.
• Experience of working with a team in multiple locations is desirable in the specific areas of research and reporting, as well as field, regional and the country operational context needed.
• Good understanding of UNHCR’s donor and resource mobilization.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations
To view occupational safety and health considerations for this duty station, please visit this link:
Nature of Position
The Associate Reporting Officer works under the direct supervision of the Senior External Relations Officer and keeps abreast with all developments in the operation and the overall context to prepare appropriate briefings and reports. Works with other multi-function teams and drafts donor reports, proposals, and updates as requested. Assist the office in consolidating and analysing data on programme implementation and indicators (e.g. shelter, NFIs, SGBV, PSN, WASH) in order to facilitate the preparation of periodic reports, i.e. Sitreps, activity-specific reports and operational updates as required. This includes preparing sit-reps, updates, brochures, and communications materials etc. In terms of external collaboration, she/he maintains working relationships with donors, Government, NGOs, and UN agencies to develop cooperation in inter-related activities. Prepares and distributes minutes of the co-ordination meetings that are held periodically in Kabul and distributes as required. The Associate Reports Officer can meet and brief visitors on all UNHCR activities, when necessary supported by appropriate specialist/ programme officers in Kabul.
Afghanistan is experiencing a humanitarian crisis of unprecedented scale, exacerbated by the critical economic crisis, high levels of poverty, natural disasters (earthquakes, drought, and floods). The number of people in need of aid in Afghanistan, a country with a population of 42 million, is predicted to reach 24.6 million people in 2023, according to the 2023 Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP).
Within the regional framework of the Solutions Strategy for Afghan Refugees, UNHCR continues to facilitate a protection and solutions dialogue through the Tripartite and Quadripartite platforms between Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran. Afghanistan has committed to renewed efforts to seek sustainable reintegration of displaced Afghans and to promote national development.
Living and Working Conditions
Afghanistan is a high-risk country with a very complex operational environment, characterized by uncertainty and frequent security incidents. Movement by all personnel is restricted, coordinated and monitored by the security officers. UNHCR in Kabul is located within the ICON Compound on the Supreme road of the Police district 9. It occupies 40 MOSS compliant rooms for staff accommodation with each room having its own washroom and other facilities. Offices are within the ICON compound. No visits except in UN compounds and Embassies which is frustrating, stressful to cope.
Outdoor air quality is a health concern in Kabul. The degree of exposure and concentration of air pollutants can be detrimental to breathing problems, development of chronic diseases and deterioration of health status in individuals with chronic diseases. Office provides air purifiers both in the office and accommodation.
Security situation is unstable, volatile, unpredictable with rise 2022-2023. A daily radio check is mandatory. All movements is strictly by Armoured Vehicle or by air. A 4 weeks R&R cycle is applicable for the duty station and staff are highly encouraged not to delay. Considering the serious restrictions on staff movement, it is crucial to demonstrate a record of maintaining a positive attitude whenever confronted with adversity and restraints in social life. Staff interested in the position should be mentally, psychologically, and physically fit and ready to face situations when required to be locked down in compound bunkers for an extended period due to security incidents.
CO-Editing, CO-Reporting skills, PG-Programme Planning
Bachelor of Arts (BA): Journalism, Bachelor of Arts (BA): Law
Communication – Other, HCR Social Media Learning Program – UNHCR
Annual Budget OL in Operation/Office, Number of Persons of Concern Served, Number of Workforce in Operation/Work Setting, Workforce to Supervise, Working with Persons of Concern: Asylum Seekers, Working with Persons of Concern: RefugeesCompetencies
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Judgement & decision making, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Political awareness, Teamwork & collaboration
UNHCR Salary Calculator
Bi-annual Compendium 2023 Part B – October 2023Additional Information
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance