- Location: Bangladesh
- Organization: UNDP
- Vacancy No: 14674
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Experience: 6 Years
- Education: Secondary education or Bachelor’s degree in Economics/Development Economics/Development Studies/International Development/Public Policy/Social Science or any other relevant discipline.
- Gender: Both
- Deadline: 27 November 2023
The Transformative Governance for Sustainable Development, IP Project of the Democratic Governance (DG) Portfolio of UNDP Bangladesh aims to strengthen and deepen further UNDP’s ongoing engagement with key public institutions, including the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), Bangladesh National Parliament, Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS), justice institutions, and legal aid service providers, including the National Legal Aid Service Organization (NLASO), Women Judges Association to explore innovative solutions to governance challenges. The project aspires to support the parliamentarians with constituency-specific data to articulate their demands and contribute to evidence-based policy formulation, planning, and allocation of resources to address regional differences and encourage inclusive development. Besides, this project will explore engagement with the NGO Affairs Bureau and Inspection, Monitoring, Evaluation Division (IMED) of the Ministry of Planning to support strong monitoring and oversight functions of development projects considering the country’s Annual Development Programme size is increasing with over 2500 projects as well as donor-funded projects through national and international NGOs. Moreover, UNDP, through this project, will support the relevant Government Ministries/Divisions/Agencies, such as the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Division, Bangladesh Investment Development Authority (BIDA), etc. in promoting transformative economic policies to deliver environmentally sustainable, inclusive, and resilient economic development in Bangladesh. This will include technical and policy advocacy supports, such as a Digital Business Identification (DBID) platform, socio-economic dashboard, digital transformation of Government-to-Business (G2B) services, and research support for evidence-based economic policymaking on the investment climate.
This project consists of seven components:
- Support the Bangladesh Parliament and MPs in evidence-based policy formulation.
- Engage with the Governance Innovation Unit (GIU) to advance governance innovation solutions).
- Promote civic education for responsive citizenship to support sustainable LDC graduation.
- Enable peaceful national elections and strengthen citizen engagement and policy support.
- Support access to affordable justice and legal aid services.
- Provide technical assistance to NGOAB and IMED to improve monitoring and oversight functions of development projects.
- Promote transformative economic policies for sustainable, inclusive, and green economic growth, trade, and investment in Bangladesh.
Under component – 7 (TEPP) of the IP project, a Research and Analytics Unit (RAU) has been established in BIDA to provide research support for informed economic policymaking on the investment climate in the context of LDC graduation. The Unit will provide an analysis of contemporary economic issues relevant to investment and business development, assess short-term changes in socio-economic activities, and recommend appropriate strategies to accelerate policymaking for improved investment governance in Bangladesh.
UNDP seeks to recruit two (02) Research Associates for the RAU to carry out research in areas where there is a critical need for early detection of emerging trends and providing analysis for informed decision-making.
The Research Associates’ responsibilities will include:
- Support in conducting desk and field research on emerging issues and interpreting results for policy implications.
- Assist in identifying contemporary economic development issues relevant to investment based on BIDA’s needs.
- Help in doing data analytics on the investment situation in Bangladesh.
- Assist in carrying out primary and secondary research to inform policymakers about the overall investment climate.
- Help in producing policy briefs, research papers, reports, concept notes, etc.
- Support hiring individual consultants/consulting firms and ensure the quality of commissioned studies.
- Support in preparing ToRs if hiring individual consultants/consulting firms for commissioned studies.
- Help in assessing the candidature of individual consultants/consulting firms.
- Assist in reviewing the work plans, programme/project papers and reporting documents when commissioning large studies.
- Support in monitoring the activities of individual consultants/consulting firms.
- Help in ensuring the quality of commissioned large studies by collaborating with individual consultants/consulting firms.
- Help in developing partnerships, policy engagement and report writing.
- Help in developing a list of relevant contacts of key stakeholders representing government, private sector, UN agencies, IFIs, NGOs/INGOs, research organizations, etc.
- Assist in planning and organising dialogues/workshops/consultation meetings, especially to disseminate the findings of the research among relevant policy partners.
- Support in preparing event reports.
- Help to preserve all documents of the activities of the research unit.
- Support in preparing the quarterly and annual progress reports of the research unit.
- Any other tasks assigned by the team.
4. Institutional Arrangement
The Research Associates will work under the direct supervision of the Policy Analyst (Team Lead – RAU), with the overall guidance and evaluation of the Economist, TEPP.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies
Thematic Area Name Definition
Business Development Knowledge Generation Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need.
Business Management Working with Evidence and Data Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision making.
Digital & Innovation Data Collection Being skilled in Data Sorting, Data Cleaning, Survey Administration, Presentation and Reporting including collection of Real-Time Data (e.g. mobile data, satellite data, sensor data).
Digital & Innovation Data Analysis Ability to extract, analyse and visualize data (including Real-Time Data) to form meaningful insights and aid effective decision making.
Digital & Innovation Data Storytelling and Communications Skilled in building a narrative around a set of data and its accompanying visualisations to help convey the meaning of that data in a powerful and compelling fashion.
2030 Agenda: Prosperity Inclusive Growth Economic transformation, policy and planning
• Knowledge of research techniques and data collection and analysis methods.
• Experience engaging with government agencies, private sector, development organisations or civil society.
• Proficiency in standard Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
Desired Skills in Addition to the Competencies Covered in the Competencies Section • Skills in data analysis using statistical software (i.e., STATA, SPSS, etc.).
• Experience in data collection and analysis and/or utilizing financial/ statistical/economic modelling tools and software is an advantage.
• Previous experience working in/with multilateral, bilateral or non-government development organizations is an advantage.
Required Language(s) English, Bengali