Overview & Responsibilities
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law.
The Financial Management Specialist will work under supervision of the Finance Manager and support IDLO finance unit for its Country Program/Project through providing professional financial management and internal control/audit service for IDLO Kabul, Afghanistan office to ensure proper internal control functions are in place.
The Financial Management Specialist will help to enhance financial skills and competency of IDLO Afghanistan office’s staffs to ensure proper financial management is in place with international standards and having sufficient documentation for donor audit to get a clear audit view.
- Ensure all transactions, invoices, bills, salaries, office supplies, office equipment purchase, vouchers, quotations; biddings follow organization policies.
- Assist in preparation of monthly accounts closure and financial report.
- Ensure Trail Balance, GL Accounts, bank reconciliation, physical cash counts, cash reconciliation are done on timely basis.
- Assist in analysis of financial report on monthly basis and preparing report on major concerns (Under/Overspends lines) for all project/Program.
- Preparing monthly national payroll and proceed to bank for transferring to employee’s salary bank account in accordance IDLO rule and regulations.
- Process international staff salary advances on monthly basis.
- Ensure daily update of transactions in the cashbooks and financial system.
- Collate and check supporting documents to monthly expenses report.
- Checking and posting cost allocations and individual unit Petty cash liquidation.
- Perform and carry out bank runs to withdraw cash, deliver bank transfer documents and any other bank related transactions.
- Ensure all original supporting documents are scanned and filed in sequential orders for ease of reference on monthly before shipment to headquarters on a regular basis.
- Coordinate and mentor Finance Associates in Country Office .
- Provide training to non-finance staff on IDLO financial reporting, and accounting procedures and requirements.
- Work in close cooperation with FPMS, all departmental personnel to ensure that IDLO and donor guidelines and procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure that costs are correctly charged to related program, budget lines, proper COA, supporting documentation is complete, amounts are accurate, goods or services are received, and approval is obtained prior to payment.
- Assist with preparation provision of documentation and information for audit purposes, working with all departments to ensure requested documents by auditors are provided.
- Preparing monthly fund forecast for the purpose fund transferred from HQ to AFG, Country Office bank account.
- Develop effective filing system (Hard and Soft) for financial records of the projects.
- Assist in preparing and developing of budget for IDLO programs and budget versus actual analysis and provide red flags to budget holder for possible over and underspending
- Provide support to Implementing Partners financial management including posting of IP’s cost, and review of IP’s financial reports, Payment’s schedule, verification of supporting documents and release of payments. Coordination and collaboration with IP’s finance staff.
- Deputize for the Finance Manager when he/she is out of duty station.
- Any other tasks as required by the supervisor.
Internal Audit/Control Tasks
- Appraise progressively the soundness, adequacy and application of the internal control systems to which the system of internal control ensures compliance with the organization´s policies and procedures.
- Evaluate those systems, identify inappropriate and inadequate controls and recommend improvements in procedures and practices based on best practice.
- Ascertain that the system of internal control promotes the efficient and effective use of resources.
- Ascertain that the system of internal control operates to ensure that the assets of the organization are properly controlled and safeguarded from losses arising from fraud, irregularity or corruption.
- Ascertain that there are adequate controls to ensure reliability of accounting and other information as a basis for producing accounts and for financial, statistical and other returns.
- Ascertain that there is an adequate internal control system to ensure the integrity and reliability of financial information provided to IDLO.
- Providing support to both programs and answers to question raised in the projects and acts as a consultant.
- Ensure that all policies and procedures are in place, updated and followed by all IDLO’s staffs in Afghanistan.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- At least 5 years of experience in Finance, preferably within an international organization funded by US or European donors.
- Advanced Computer skills (Excel, Word, Database and Navision System)
- Computerized accounting package skills preferred.
- Knowledge of finance operations and reporting requirements of international donors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated with strong organization skills.
- Ability to take initiative to manage tasks, and willingness to act as a team member and assist with menial tasks as needed for program success.
- Interpersonal skills, including ability to listen to and respect others. Ability to work collaboratively and supportively with others.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to prioritize and plan effectively and solve problems.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel and work irregular hours as required to complete assignments.
- A good sense of humor.
- Master’s degree in finance, Accounting, Business Management, MBA or similar field
- 5 years relevant experience
- Fluency in English, Pashto and Dari is required.
Terms & Conditions
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature, or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
The application deadline is 23 November 2023 (23.59 Hrs. Kabul time)