- Country: Libya
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Master’s degree
- Experience: 3 years
- Gender: Both
1. Advice and planning
- Support the Head of Project Unit (HPU) and Chief of Mine Action Programme (CMAP) in providing advisory support on all Mine Action related matters to execute the mandate, such as:
- Provide mine action related technical expertise to the UNSMIL ceasefire monitoring component for operational planning in areas contaminated with explosive ordnance or dangerous stockpiles.
- Provide technical and operational expertise and coordination support to the 5+5 JMC Mine Action Sub-Committee, relevant entities, and associated Ceasefire Agreement monitoring committees.
- Develop threat assessments, route-specific briefings on the threat, explosive ordnance recognition and safety measures.
- Develop and oversee emergency response planning for explosive ordnance accidents/incidents and assist in emergency response implementation.
- Advise onUNSMIL and JMC monitors on the threat.
- Provide explosive hazard awareness induction training to staff and Libyan monitors.
- Conduct liaison and coordination with relevant national and international entities with knowledge of the threat to assist in operational planning, threat mitigation, and provision of international assistanceProvide data recording and management of explosive ordnance reports and support information sharing with stakeholders.
- Report progress by Libyan clearance teams on marking and clearance of contaminated areas and ammunition stockpiles, and on an ad hoc basis, investigate explosive ordnance finds for future clearance in support of the UNSMIL ceasefire monitoring component, 5 + 5 Joint Military Commission.Provide technical expertise on arms and ammunition management to facilitate UNSMIL support for the withdrawal of foreign forces and mercenaries and planning for disarmament related to the implementation of the Ceasefire Agreement.
- Provide input to the documents and processes below from mine action aspects in coordination with other advisors, including:
- The Programme Strategy (e.g. vision, mission, strategic results framework, stakeholder; analysis; risk analysis) and Workplan and Budget (e.g. nature of threat; technical personnel and equipment requirements, etc.).
- Concepts of Operations, Concept Notes and Proposals.
- Key papers at the request of the HPU/CMAP covering the UNMAS Libya Programme.
- Oversee, coordinate, and monitor the reporting and performance of operations of Mine Action activities related to CMC including:
- Ensure performance against the targets of the logical framework and workplan of the programme.
- Provide performance updates and reports to key reports, including reports for donors, UN and other key counterparts as requested.
- Lead inputs and delivery for quarterly and annual reviews, workplan reviews and other such monitoring systems as required.
- Contribute to resource mobilisation efforts to support the Libya Programme through supporting the preparation of funding proposals, programme concepts and budgets.
2. Stakeholder management
- In support of the HPU and CMAP, manage relationships with Libyan institutions and other direct stakeholders, particularly around mine action related issues.
- Coordinate with UNSMIL Sections to execute the mandate.
- Coordinate with field level operational partners, UN, and government counterparts to support implementation of the operational activities (including governors, national authorities, and UNCT members.
- Upon request from the HPU and CMAP, engage national mine action authorities and other Libyan institutions involved in mine action for purposes of coordination as requested.
3. Knowledge management and innovation
- Ensure records of operations-related files are well maintained.
- Implement relevant tools and templates to effectively manage efficient and effective operations.
- Keep abreast of and incorporate latest/best practices, approaches and technology to enhance operational results.
- Initiate and undertake lessons learned exercises, including the sharing, effective filing, and incorporation into future operational plans and ensure information sharing.
- Identify continuous improvements and lessons learned.
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience; or
- First Level University Degree (Bachelor’s degree) with a minimum of 9 years of relevant experience may be accepted; or
- Military or police experience with 13 years of relevant experience.
- EOD Level 3+ certification is required (in any specialist EOD activities as described in Test and Evaluation Protocol 09.30/01/2022 (e.g., Bulk demolitions, guided weapons, aerial bombs etc.).
*** EOD qualifications must be from international organizations and/or from government institutions that train and educate EOD specialists in accordance with IMAS standards. Individuals are responsible for providing proof of competence and curriculum of courses attended.
- Security Certified Program (SCP) Certification is desired.
- PRINCE2® Foundation/Practitioner is desired.
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in one or more of the following areas (within the last 10 years):
– Explosive Ordnance Disposal in single, multiple and bulk demolitions
– Non-technical survey
– Technical survey
– Mechanical clearance and ground preparation
– Mechanical assisted clearance operations in an urban environment
– Manual mine clearance
– Battle Area clearance
– Road clearance
– Improvised Explosive Device Disposal (IEDD)
- Experience working in Libya, or similar contexts in the Middle East and North Africa region is required.
- Experience in advising multi-stakeholder sub-committees established for mine action and/or WAM operations is desired.
- Experience in training design and delivery of instruction is desirable.
- Knowledge of Weapons and Ammunition Management and International Ammunition Technical Guidelines (IATG) is desirable.
- Experience working with multiple partners is desired.
Fluency in English and Arabic (reading, writing and speaking) is required.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Libya, please click here: UN jobs in Libya