- Country: Dominica
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Gender: Both
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system’s designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
The UNEP Latin America and the Caribbean Office (LACO), located in Panama City, Panama works closely with the 33 countries of the region and its activities are integrated into the Medium-Term Strategy and the Programme of Work approved by the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA).
In terms of addressing climate change, UNEP aims to support countries in the compliance of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and the priority actions defined in the countries Nationally Determined Contributions.
The overall objective of UNEP´s Sub-programme on Climate Change is to strengthen the ability of countries to move towards climate-resilient and low emission strategies for sustainable development and human well-being. The expected accomplishment regarding climate change adaptation is that adaptation approaches, including an ecosystem-based approach, are implemented, and integrated into key sectoral and national development strategies to reduce vulnerability and strengthen resilience to climate change impacts. Furthermore, the UNEP´s Sub-programme on Climate Change is also committed to ensure that crosscutting issues such as gender equity and women empowerment are effectively undertaken in the development of its tasks to guarantee an equitable development in line with its adaptation objectives.
To fulfill the objectives of the project, the UNEP LACO Office is recruiting a Climate Change Communications Consultant to provide operational guidance to the Ministry of the Environment and Natural Resources and UNEP in the implementation of the Green Climate Fund funded project as set in the funding proposal document. The Consultant will report directly to the UNEP Adaptation Programme Management Officer at the UNEP Latin America and the Caribbean Office.
The main objective of the position of Climate Change Communications Specialist is to define an overall communication strategy for the project Building capacity to advance in the National Adaptation Plan Process in the Dominican Republic, involving central government institutions, local governments, the private sector, civil society, and other relevant actors.
The Climate Change Communications Specialist will operate under the overall supervision of the UNEP Adaptation Programme Management Officer at the UNEP Latin America and the Caribbean Office. Additionally, he/she will work in close collaboration with the UNEP’s Adaptation team, the Directorate of Climate Change of the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources in the Dominican Republic, other national consultants and government and non-governmental counterparts. Travel within the Dominican Republic might be needed for consultation processes.
The Climate Change Communications Specialist is expected to work 40 hours per week, from Monday to Friday, full time basis and to be located in the Project Management Unit in the Climate Change Directorate of the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources in the Dominican Republic.
• Bachelor´s degree in in communications, public relations, journalism, international relations or a closely related field is required.
• Master’s degree in communication, public relations, and/ or social sciences is desired.
• Academic training (course, diplomat) in sustainable development and environmental issues will be an asset.
• Minimum of 3 years of work experience in the dissemination of information and/or knowledge management is required.
• Demonstrated ability to develop, promote, implement, monitor and evaluate communication policies and strategies is desirable.
• Demonstrated experience in report writing, presentations design and developing communication strategies and drafting official and non-official documents is desirable.
• Previous experience in the formulation and execution of internal and external communication strategies is an asset.
• Experience in engaging with government institutions and other stakeholders at the national and local levels is desirable.
• Demonstrated knowledge in the use of renewed and creative ideas to turn complex information into clear proposals with attractive content for the public is an asset.
• Experience in coordinating publications, content editing and proofreading are an asset.
• Experience in the facilitation and organization of workshops is an asset.
• Demonstrated experience working with national institutions in climate change and the coordination of activities at the national, subnational and/or sectoral level is desired.
• Experience in inclusion of vulnerable populations, gender considerations, and work with regional or institutions is an advantage.
• Experience in organizational learning, knowledge management, social sciences, monitoring and evaluation and related fields is an advantage.
• Experience with international organizations is an advantage.
• Fluent in Spanish is required.
• Confident in English is required.
• Excellent political, advisory and facilitation skills.
• Ability to facilitate technical discussions and participatory processes with multiple stakeholders in multicultural environments.
• Ability to communicate complex issues in a language and format that is appropriate to specific target audiences.
• Familiarity with key communication tools and techniques, such as audience segmentation, behavior change theories, and visual storytelling.
• Excellent writing, editing, and storytelling skills, with the ability to adapt content for different audiences and platforms.
• Results-driven and initiative-taking behavior.
• Professionalism: Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. He/she shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors’ language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Teamwork: Is able to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team to achieve organizational goals and to take leadership when appropriate; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Dominica, please click here: UN jobs in Dominica