- Country: Ethiopia
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Undergraduate
- Experience: 6 years
- Gender: Both
Coordinate data and information management activities at the Country /Regional/Global level:
– Participate in the relevant data and information management team and activities.
– Contribute to the design and implement data strategies and systems.
– Assist the data team and others communicate the status, value, and importance of data.
– Support the collection, storage, management and protection of data in the region/country or at the global level.
– Support consolidation of data systems, including the interoperability of operational data and systems.
– Ensure consistency of data and results for country, global and regional analysis, including cross border analysis and response.
– Identify risks and opportunities based on insights derived from data.
– Support the coordination with HQ, external and internal partners on data and information management efforts and mechanisms, including OCHA, IOM, regional economic commissions and other institutions with statistical or data interests, UNICEF, and WFP.
– Lead or take part the relevant IM networks (internal and external) on refugee, IDP, stateless and related issues.
– Improve data quality in the region/county or globally through field support, capacity building, monitoring and feedback.
– Support data security, data protection and responsible data-sharing.
Support offices with data and information management support (if Global or Regional):
– Provide technical guidance on methodologies, and support for data management activities such as surveys, secondary data reviews, targeting and vulnerability assessments, indicator definition, population estimation, profiling, statistical analysis, predictive analytics, big data, international recommendations, GIS, data visualisation, maps, official statistics and other data and information management activities.
– Support the analysis of primary and secondary data for interpretation and evidence-informed decision making.
– Support the monitoring of data and information management activities in the relevant offices for integrity, veracity, reliability and credibility and compliance with policies.
– Document needs and capacities for data management activities.
– Provide technical and training support to operations.
– Support assessments and situational analysis process with analytical frameworks, data collection, and analysis (standards, methodologies).
– Support planning process (standards, methodologies) quality assurance and technical advice on Theories of Change and indicators, as well as with data and statistical analysis
– Support monitoring by providing quality assurance and technical advice to the monitoring methodologies, data collection and analysis.
– Review and assess country or region-specific data systems and needs; provide recommendations for solutions.
– Undertake data and information management activities:
– Lead and undertake data management activities (definition of needs, data collection, analysis, storage and dissemination)
– Lead and undertake geospatial analysis, statistical analysis, targeting, surveys, indicator definition and other data management activities.
– Consolidate data and information for analysis.
– Support analysis for comparative country, regional and global analysis, including political and socio-economic trends.
– Take part in planning processes (COPs, regional RRP, regional migration response plans, etc.).
– Support cross-country assessment and situational analysis, such as in regional RRP situation.
– Undertake the analysis of trends concerning changes at the outcome and impact levels.
– Develop information management products such as indicators, templates, maps and dashboards.
– Help ensure data is curated and stored in data registries and libraries in accordance with standards.
– Provide population movement tracking systems and other population data systems
– Support solutions for meeting ‘communication with communities’ information and data needs.
Work in close collaboration with:
– All staff to further data literacy and assist in interpretation the data.
– Registration staff regarding the use of individual and personally identifiable data collected or managed by UNHCR.
– Programme staff on the data and information aspects of assessment, targeting and monitoring (three most data driven aspects of the OMC).
– Cluster coordinators and partners on data and information needs in UNHCR-led cluster operations, including HNO and HRP processes.
– Inter-agency staff on the development, coordination and monitoring of responses plans.
– Protection staff on the design, implementation and analysis of protection and case monitoring systems.
– Operations coordinators and reporting officers on the design and delivery of data and information management products for internal and external consumption.
– Sectors technical experts on the methodologies, formats, storage and dissemination of sectoral data and information, including cross sector analysis.
– Senior management to understand and serve their information and knowledge needs.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P3/NOC – 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Social Science; Statistics; Information Management;
Physical Science; Economics; Data Science;
Geography GIS; Engineering;
Demography Computer Science;
or other relevant field;
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
5 years in data or statistical field, 3 years in international context and/or humanitarian or development situation. Experience with data sharing, data management and data analysis to support policy formulation and implementation.
Knowledge of national and international statistical systems; knowledge of international protection, human rights and international humanitarian law; experience in data collection and analysis in field situations; knowledge of GIS and geospatial systems and techniques.
DM-ArcGIS (Geographic Information System)
DM-Data Collection and Analysis
DM-Data collection methodologies
DM-Database Design & Development
DM-Metadata Creation & Management
DM-Open Source Software & Data
DM-Population census and econometrics
DM-Protection Data Management Systems
SP-Design tools such as Global Positioning System (GPS)
CL-Cluster Information Management Tools, Resources and Approaches
PG-Needs Assessment and Response Analysis
DM-Data governance, quality assurance and preservation
DM-Development of and revision of data standards
DM-Data science methodologies
DM-Qualitative data analysis
DM-Quantitative data analysis
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Ethiopia, please click here: UN jobs in Ethiopia