- Country: Ethiopia
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Undergraduate
- Experience: 6 years
- Gender: Both
– Monitor, screen, respond to and distribute incoming communications to the supervisor to identify priority matters that need to be addressed by the supervisor and propose actions; analyse supporting documentation and summarize most relevant points for the supervisor; ensure that appropriate action is taken by responsible senior managers on matters brought to the attention of the supervisor.
– Contribute to the management and maintenance of the supervisor’s schedules, appointments, correspondence and missions with support of the Principal Secretary if relevant. Follow-up on policies and instructions presented by the supervisor. Keep the supervisor aware of relevant developments in UNHCR and of policy issues directly related to UNHCR or other matters of interest under the broader UN system.
– Assist the supervisor in the preparation of statements, situation reports, and briefing notes that represent UNHCR’s overall policies and which highlight specific areas of concern. Propose and draft correspondence for the supervisor, also with regard to regular reporting to the High Commissioner. Ensure coordination and compilation of inputs to key reports and documents.
– Confer with senior managers in the Bureau, Division, or Country Operation to secure timely and authoritative information relevant to matters requiring action, decisions, or the signature of the supervisor.
– Arrange and coordinate meetings.
– Ensure that the supervisor is prepared for meetings and missions by drafting talking points, researching relevant information, and establishing internal and external contacts on the subject matters to be discussed.
– Accompany the supervisor to meetings and missions where relevant, in order to prepare notes on the discussions, and minutes of meetings. Track progress on agreed issues, follow-up with focal points on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken, and coordination of collection and submission of reports and requests for information.
– Ensure flow of information within the office by disseminating relevant communications to senior managers and all staff in the office as required;
– Support the supervisor in efforts to raise UNHCR profile and cater to its concerns within the context of the broader United Nations system.
– As part of a continuous effort to improve the flow of useful information, coordinate with other services, units, etc. in UNHCR to implement systems, policies, procedures, or instruments to improve the process of executive information management.
– Work with the supervisor in developing, reviewing, and proposing new policies and practices, or adaptations to existing ones. Monitor development and implementation of these policies and practices.
– Ensure that high-level visitors are appropriately addressed, that they receive background information as necessary, and that protocol is respected.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P3/NOC – 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Social Sciences; Political Science; Business Administration; International Relations;
or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
6 years of progressively responsible, coordination, administrative or operational experience
Good knowledge of the UNHCR operations in general
CO-Drafting and Documentation
ER-Inter-Agency External Relations
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Ethiopia, please click here: UN jobs in Ethiopia