- Country: Ethiopia
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Undergraduate
- Experience: 3 years
- Gender: Both
– Support the PSP network by providing client-oriented service to help fundraisers reach their targets, including responding in a timely manner to requests and queries regarding UNHCR programmes and operations within the Area of Responsibility (AoR).
– Contribute to UNHCR’s programmes in the AoR and provide content on UNHCR needs that will appeal to PSP donors, including regular updates on funding gaps and opportunities.
– Support in the negotiation, in close collaboration with HQ,Regional Bureaux and field counterparts, their designate, specific funding requests to find solutions that both meet donor requirements and organizational priorities.
– Facilitate the agreement, as required, on detailed budgets, activities to be implemented, donor reporting requirements and funding space with field colleagues and divisions related to potential contributions.
– Ensure contributions within the AoR are managed in line with internal UNHCR processes, including the contribution management processes, and that income is properly recorded.
– Assist with the clearance of contributions (including the related legal documentation), grant agreements and pledge letters for the AoR prior to signature by the appropriate supervisor.
– Provide guidance on the use of PSP envelope or ‘AOL reserve’ within the AoR.
– Assist with the review of PPH contributions in the ERP system to ensure correct earmarking, implementation period and reporting requirements are reflected in the CD.
– In close collaboration with the relevant stakeholders, support the clearance of Exchange of Letters/ Grant Agreements/ General Cooperation Agreements as they relate to private donors, and liaise with the relevant bureau, field operations, LAS / and other potential entities / services, as required.
– Keep track of potential contributions that are ‘under discussion’ and ‘projected’ and ensure that the projections are adequately reflected in the ERP system.
– Support in the liaison, advice and management of carry-over requests through close consultation with concerned key stakeholders, as required.
– Support field staff in tracking progress and results from earmarked contributions
– In close collaboration with grant writers, provide them with raw fundraising material to support the development of fundraising materials (proposals, concept notes and reports) which are UNHCR brand-compliant, and aligned with UNHCR organizational priorities and key messages. Ensure that content and budgets of such fundraising materials is technically sound, and that projects and activities funded by private donors can be reliably implemented in order to support further giving and avoid reputational risks for UNHCR.
– For HQ-based or regional positions, coordinate multi-regional/global funding initiatives (including proposals), liaising with relevant stakeholders as required, including staff covering assigned regions, thematic and grant writers.
– Provide support to PSP donor missions at the request of PSP HQ, including liaising with field colleagues as required.
– Contribute to the capacity building of colleagues’ understanding of private donor requirements, including for proposals and reporting.
– Contribute to the capacity building of fundraisers in the areas of contribution management and programme, including the operations management cycle in line with established UNHCR policies and procedures.
– Assist in the development of tools and reports in coordination with other UNHCR units to support and enhance processes.
– Perform other tasks as required.
HQ Thematic roles specifically:
– Keep abreast, through a thematic lens, of UNHCR’s programmes and priorities that could appeal to PPH donors in a range of markets and contexts.
– Respond to thematic requests and queries from fundraisers in the PSP network in a timely manner by closely coordinating with PSU staff within the AoR and based on information received by relevant UNHCR units.
– Liaise with PSU staff in the AoR over activities and budgets to be proposed in thematic concept notes, proposals and fundraising packs.
– In close consultation with PSU staff as well as PSP fundraisers, undertake research and write thematic content for fundraising materials (including concept notes and proposals) to support PPH fundraising, including translating technical language into accessible donor facing language.
– Research and draft tailored fundraising packs on themes proposed by PPH fundraisers in the network in response to donor interest and approved by the supervisor, ensuring these are brand compliant and aligned with UNHCR key messages.
– Provide regular updates on UNHCR’s thematic priorities and related funding gaps.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other tasks as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2/NOB – 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
International Relations; Social Sciences; Law; Economics; Development Economics; Peace and Conflict Studies; or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Partnerships/programme experience in a not-for-profit organisation or an international organisation with particular focus on fundraising activities for humanitarian causes. Donor relations experience preferably with private sector with strong client orientation and understanding of private sector donor requirements. Good understanding of UNHCR, its mandate, priorities and field operations. UNHCR programming and programme management experience or certification. Working knowledge of donor relations.
Good knowledge of humanitarian operations in an international setting. Field experience, preferably with UNHCR, or with other humanitarian or development organizations is a plus. Excellent analytical and conceptual skills and strong communication and presentation skills (both verbal and written). A team player to effectively coordinate with multiple stakeholders. Demonstrated understanding of UNHCR budget structure and results framework. Practical experience of UNHCR corporate tools, such as Focus and MSRP. Exposure to UNHCR specific learning and training, including PM1.
*PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards)
*PS-Fundraising (incl. operations, programmes)
CL-Programme/Project Mgmt (formulation, implementation, programme cycles and reporting)
PS-Private sector fundraising and partnerships
UN-UN/UNHCR Inter-agency Policies, Standards, Programmes, and Partnerships
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Ethiopia, please click here: UN jobs in Ethiopia