- Country: Ethiopia
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Undergraduate
- Experience: 3 years
- Gender: Both
– Prepare plans and specifications for office premises, warehouses, refugee reception/registration centres and any land and building projects within the AOR according to operational needs.
– Provide civil engineering advice and technical guidance for management of office buildings including support for tendering processes as well as development of service contracts. Work closely with security and others, if necessary, in maintaining/installing technical security installations in the buildings under the AOR.
– Conduct regular periodic physical visits to UNHCR office premises, warehouses and refugee receptions/registration centres etc. to monitor their status.
– In cooperation with relevant technical units and departments, formulate proposals for disposal of premises and/or support identification, selection and alteration of new buildings/ premises considering also the environmental impact of actions.
– Conduct market research and recommend the selection of engineering / construction consultants and contractors.
– Recommend civil engineering solutions to buildings/office premises/warehouse construction projects, refugee reception/registration centres and other projects within the AOR when and as needed.
– Ensure timely delivery of civil engineering projects, according to “best practices” and prevailing UNHCR rules and regulations.
– Analyse relevant data and draft status reports and updates.
– Draft quotation requests and/or tenders and contribute to the evaluation of offers and proposals.
– Monitor and support the implementation of office premises projects.
– Analyse and report on the quality of services delivered by contractors in relation to premises projects with reference to contractual quality standards.
– Support the wider UN greening initiative.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2/NOB – 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Civil Engineering; Architecture; or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Minimum 1 year of previous relevant professional job experience with special reference to documented construction supervision.
Good working knowledge of the following software: AutoCAD (2D), Microsoft Project, MS Office
Experience in all disciplines of civil engineering, emergency management and environmental planning, and ability making the linkages to rehabilitation and development programmes.
Previous professional experience in the areas of urban development, natural resources and environmental management.
Familiarity with, and Field exposure to UNHCR programme planning and implementation and on humanitarian operations.
*IT-Computer Assisted Design Software (e.g. AutoCAD)
SP-Infrastructure Development/Construction Management/Property Management
SP-CAD 3D modelling for Settlement Analysis (eg. Infraworks, Civil 3D)
SP-Environmental Assessment/Planning/Monitoring/Evaluation of integrated projects/programs
EV-Sustainable Environmental Land Use Management
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.