- Country: Brazil
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Undergraduate
- Experience: 6 year
- Gender: Both
– Stay abreast of the challenges posed by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform, and institutional developments in the area of forced displacement and humanitarian operations.
– Assist in the planning of a consultative process with UNHCR colleagues (Programme, Protection, etc.) with external actors and partners, so as to develop and implement protection and assistance strategy, with clearly articulated objectives, timelines and outputs.
– Assist the implementation of a communications strategy that generates support for UNHCR s operations from external partners (e.g. the general public, governments, partners, the media, academia and persons of concern).
– Assist in the articulation of all issues pertaining to the needs of the populations of concern and the strategies in place to respond to their needs.
– Inform the UNHCR Country Team on the UNHCR priorities so as to ensure that they are given adequate weight in the publications and documentation of the UN Country Team.
– Assist in the dialogue with donors and embassies and provide accurate information by organizing regular briefings, bilateral meetings and missions. Prepare reports as appropriate.
– In accordance with the operational context and in close cooperation with headquarters, propose new and non-traditional funding sources, as appropriate, including private sector and humanitarian pooled/basket funds (e.g. Central Emergency Response Fund, Human Security Fund).
– Through a consultative process with headquarters, disseminate information on UNHCR’s global funding situation and mobilize additional funds to implement special projects aimed at enhancing the quality of protection for persons of concern in the country operation.
– Participate on behalf of the Representative and other supervisors in inter-agency cooperation and communication strategies, initiatives and tools.
– Support senior management in representing UNHCR in the UN Country Team and other UN coordination fora.
– Support, and participate in, local UN integrated missions, Inter-Agency Standing Committee, Emergency Relief Coordinator and Cluster communication strategies and initiatives.
– Assist in the management of information flows within the country operations by identifying priority matters, securing, analyzing and disseminating documentation and information to support country operations and corporate communication processes and priorities.
– Consolidate information on UNHCR’s country operations and identify appropriate messages for campaigns and appeals.
– Assist in the coordination of the drafting of, situation reports, briefing notes, background material, talking points, fact sheets, press releases and articles.
– Assist in the development of targeted communications strategies and media packages for situations and/or activities that require focused attention.
– Propose events and initiatives (e.g. commercial, cultural, political and sports) to promote the work of UNHCR and take action as appropriate.
– Support the management of media relations by, inter alia, responding to direct queries, publishing press releases and organizing regular briefings and visits to country operations.
– On behalf of the Representative, approve fundraising messages.
– On behalf of the Representative, approve any relevant expenditure for the implementation of fundraising activities.
– Propose which donors to approach and which operations or activities to prioritize for special fundraising appeals.
– Implement all aspects of a communications strategy.
– Approve budgets and expenditures for communications activities.
– Clear external relations/communication products and tools as appropriate.
– Represent UNHCR on behalf of senior management in fund-raising and communication priorities in inter-agency initiatives and fora.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P3/NOC – 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Political Sciences, Social Sciences, International Relations, Journalism,
or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Experience in humanitarian operations in a field environment.
Excellent knowledge of local institution, politics and culture.
Good knowledge of UNHCR operations both at Headquarters and in the Field.
Fund-raising and programming/programme management experience.
Experience of working with social media.
IT-Web Content Management
CO-Drafting and Documentation
ER-Inter-Agency External Relations
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Brazil, please click here: UN jobs in Brazil