Administrative Assistant Travel, GS-5, Fixed Term, Kabul, Afghanistan #22510
Job no: 564742
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Duty Station: Kabul
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a future
How can you make a difference?
Under the general supervision of the Admin Officer, and in support of the Afghanistan Country office, prepares and processes documentation for travel of UNICEF staff members and dependents, consultants, and participants to meetings.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Reviews requests for travel requests price quotations from travel agents, determines the applicable class of travel, calculates the number of days in travel status, and converts quotation to US dollars.
- Upon approval, authorizes the travel agent to issue tickets, or draft correspondence to other UN/UNICEF offices requesting the issuance of tickets or assistance to staff traveling. Record invoices received and monitored payments rigorously to avoid errors and double payments.
- Advises staff on visa and vaccination requirements of countries to be visited and ensures that application forms are completed correctly with accompanying material.
- Verifies travel claims against authorized travel, with regard to actual routing and duration of stay. Correctly calculate all travel claims and prepare payment requests for settlement within three days from receipt. Regularly monitor travel advances and ensure staff PARs are cleared.
- Issue travel authorizations for operations staff and prepare a mechanism for monitoring the settlement of TAs, follow up with staff whose TAs have not been settled after their return from the mission, and certify operations TAs on a regular basis.
- Maintains files and records related to travel. Compiles reports as required and drafts correspondence on initiatives relating to travel.
- Assists in the preparation of budgets for travel costs and maintains travel plan and budgetary control records.
- Any other identical task that is assigned by the respective supervisor.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of secondary school education, high school diploma, and business courses or other relevant disciplines.
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience in travel and protocol
- Computer literacy and the ability to effectively use standard office software tools and other office technology to create documentation, exchange and archive e-mail, and maintain electronic filing systems
- Office support work experience, including, organizing and supervising the whole range of office support and administrative activities like transport and fleet management. Ability to work with a minimum of supervision. Ability to extract and format data and solve operational problems. Ability to organize own and others’ work, set priorities, and meet deadlines. Ability to organize meetings and events. Ability to handle work quickly and accurately under time constraints
- Fluency in English is required and the local language of the duty station
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability, and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: UNICEF Values
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
(1) Builds and maintains partnerships(2) Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness(3)Drive to achieve results for impact(4)Innovates and embraces change(5) Manages ambiguity and complexity(6)Thinks and acts strategically(7)Works collaboratively with others.
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks, and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
UNICEF’s active commitment towards diversity and inclusion is critical to deliver the best results for children. For this position, eligible and suitable female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Issuance of a visa by the host country of the duty station, which will be facilitated by UNICEF, is required for IP positions. Appointments are also subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF. UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if a visa or medical clearance is not obtained or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.
Advertised: Afghanistan Standard Time
Deadline: Afghanistan Standard Time