- Organization: UNHCR – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Kandahar
- Grade: Level not specified – Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Supply Chain
E (most hardship)
Non FamilyDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
ReasonRegular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
February 16, 2023
Standard Job Description
Associate Supply Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Associate Supply Officer supports all activities pertaining to the supply chain function including planning, sourcing, transport, shipping, customs clearance and warehousing management within the Area of Responsibility (AoR). The position may be located at Headquarters (within DESS), in a Regional Bureau or in a Country Office.
The incumbent is normally supervised by the (Senior) Supply Officer or other senior staff with supply oversight function who defines the objectives and provides general guidance. S/he will also refer to UNHCR manuals and relevant policy papers. The incumbent normally supervises some staff and/or AWF.
In Bureaus and country operations s/he maintains regular contacts on working level with other UN agencies, UNHCR Partners, NGOs, government partners and commercial contractors in the area of operation.
S/he will support effective supply chain that enables the office to meet the needs of persons of concerns as well as timely delivery of quality goods and services to persons of concern. Further, the incumbent will assist in the maintenance of a supply chain infrastructure that is robust and flexible enough to accommodate the needs of the operation and that enables timely emergency responses, along with effective partners to support supply activities.
The Associate Supply Officer maintains impartial, ethical and customer-oriented relations with suppliers and Partner organizations; exchanges information with counterparts in other UN agencies, and International Organisations within the limits established by UN /UNHCR Procurements Rules and assists with joint procurement actions if, as and whenever necessary.
The incumbent will support the coordination of the delivery of assistance from the regional warehouse, if applicable. S/he will liaise with SMS staff who manage the Global Stockpiles and who manage the Global Asset and Fleet Management, if and as required and if applicable.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Support all activities pertaining to the supply chain function including planning, sourcing, transport, shipping, customs clearance, warehousing, asset and fleet management, as applicable.
– Support the procurement process to ensure timely, cost-effective and adequate delivery of commodities and services to support operational needs.
– Identify partners for supply chain projects based on objectives, priorities, strengths and resources of the UNHCR Partner and/or contractor, according to criteria consistent with UNHCR rules and regulations.
– Develop relevant contacts and build constructive relations with UN agencies, UNHCR Partners, government authorities and other partners as applicable.
– Ensure accurate and comprehensive records on supply activities and provide timely reports and updates both periodically and on request.
– Manage the vendor related processes including identification, assessment and selection of vendors based on their capability for delivering commodities and services. Ensure vendor and item master databases are up to date.
– Oversee tender processes and manage the preparation of proposals for award of contracts to the relevant CoCs.
– Ensure the quality standards for commodities and services are respected by vendors in relation to the needs of the location and tender/purchase specifications.
– Prepare plans for delivery of relief and other non-food items according to the operational needs and regularly update the information in UNHCR IT systems.
– Apply UNHCR’s sourcing and procurement strategy when planning for purchase of important commodities and services.
– Ensure timely customs clearance of consignments and establishment & maintenance of warehousing according to “best practices” and UNHCR rules and regulations.
– Manage an efficient system for the release, and redeployment of goods.
– Oversee and coordinate as required the release and transportation and of relief and other non-food items.
– Monitor the quality and accuracy of supply chain related data in relevant business systems. Compile and analyse statistical information, identify trends and developments in supply chain related matters that will assist in decision making
– Implement supply operations based on interpretations of the situation and conclusions to how the operation can be best implemented.
– Resolve difficulties in the local supply chain by finding solutions to problems and bottlenecks, and provide regular reports on supply chain activities, the status of requests and the availability of items in the supply chain.
– Disseminate, promote commitment to and monitor compliance with UNHCR’s global policies, standards and guidance on supply chain management.
– Support effective information flow in the supply chain and adapt process and documents to the prevailing environment.
In the Regional Bureaux:
– Support Country Operations in implementing supply operations based on interpretations of the situation and conclusions to how the operation can be best implemented particularly in emergency context.
– Assist country operations achieving full compliance with rules & regulations in all supply activities.
– Track the progress of specific periodic operations and provide guidance that ensures timely implementation.
– Facilitate training of supply staff and assist in coaching and advising individuals or Supply teams as requested.
– Track global Supply KPIs for the region and devise regional ones as required.
– Monitor all periodic Supply exercises such as monthly reconciliations, quarterly physical inventory exercises, and year-end accounts closure procedures and ensure that they are implemented throughout the region and provide relevant reports to senior managers.
– Support the analysis of country financial reports and work with the Country Operations Supply Team leaders to address red areas relating to Supply aspects of operations.
– Support the country needs assessment plans and assist in combining them into regional procurement plans and monitor their timely implementation and changes based on operational needs.
In the Country Operations:
– Adapt standard supply chain structures to the local environment that are consistent with the operational needs.
– Assist the office should they need additional office space or extensions to their office leases, lease hold improvements or other construction. Carry out the procurement aspect of the establishment of office leases or extensions.
– Assist in the coordination with CBI stakeholders the design and implementation of the market assessment and market monitoring to determine if CBI is option. Carry out the procurement action to contract Financial Service Providers (FSP).
– Support the establishment and maintenance of an efficient and skilled workforce that is capable of supporting on-going operations.
– Support the identification of partners for supply chain projects based on objectives, priorities, strengths and resources of the Partner and/or contractor, according to criteria consistent with UNHCR rules and regulations.
– Implement effective asset and fleet management that regularly monitors the asset/fleet pool, increases efficiency safeguards the investment of the organisation.
– Support the coordination activities of Partners and/or contractors performing supply related activities, and ensure that they understand and adhere to relevant UNHCR rules and procedures.
– Maintain an up-to-date overview of the location’s supply chain capacity and preparedness, as well as, that of its partners to ensure that adequate capacity exist also to cover emergencies.
– Depending on the size of the operation act as ex-officio in the LCC Review and clear procurement cases for the relevant procurement authority.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2/NOB – 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Supply Chain Management; Business Administration; International Commerce; Engineering;
or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Certificate from Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supplies, e.g. CFIPS, CMIPS, MCIPS;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Proficient knowledge of logistics/supply systems with proven experience at previous work positions, preferably UN. Good working knowledge and experience in handling contract issues in the context of UN policies and standards. Experience in contract negotiations; ability to provide technical guidance to subordinate staff; ability to plan and organise work assignments, often under close deadlines. Proven ability to deal with multiple tasks with speed, in a courteous and service oriented manner.
Database management skills and experience and working knowledge of ERP systems, ideally of UNHCR¿s MSRP Supply Chain Module would be an advantage. Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills to deal with persons of different cultural and educational backgrounds. Technical knowledge of types of services, supplies and goods purchased by UNHCR for Headquarters, Regional and Field Offices would be an advantage. Relevant training, such as CIPS, or other public procurement trainings. Knowledge of UN and UNHCR Financial Regulations and Rules relating to procurement and UNHCR Chapter 8. Aviation services knowledge for movements of goods/passengers. Proven ability to manage a team.
SC-PeopleSoft Supply Chain Management
UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures
SC-UN/UNHCR Procurement Rules and Procedures
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
The candidate should have a good understanding of the related rules and regulations.
The candidate should have proven experience in providing technical support to partners.
The candidate should have proven experience in providing support for contracts and construction projects .
The incumbent should have prior experience and proven competences in providing support and oversight for a Sub Office and Field Offices under its supervision as well as maintaining coordination with the related units at country office.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Establishing and maintaining safe and healthy environment is a priority for the operation. Therefore, attention to occupational health and safety issues with regards to illness and injury in the workplace and guesthouse is managed by admin unit and under the direct supervision of the Head of Office. This includes taking measures and improving living conditions to limit hazards that could lead to physical or mental harm. The workspace and guesthouse have been renovated to improve quality living including the provision of Gem facility and space for recreational activities in the guesthouse.
Nature of Position:
The incumbent of the position will be located in SO Kandahar and will provided support for both SO Kandahar and FO Herat. S/He will be under the direct supervision of the Head of Office in Kandahar and technical support of the Senior Supply Officer in CO Kabul.
Incumbent of the position will provide support pertaining to the supply chain function including planning, sourcing, transport, shipping, customs clearance, warehousing, asset and physical fleet management. With technical support from the Senior Supply Officer in the CO, the incumbent of the position will manage the procurement processes including vendor identification and assessment for capability of delivering commodities and services through Local Vendors Capacity building.
S/He will assist the national staff/Supervisee(s) in resolving difficulties in the local supply chain by finding solutions to problems and bottlenecks and will help to provide regular reports on supply chain activities, the status of requests and the availability of items in the supply chain.
The incumbent of this position will:
- Occasionally receive consignments through Spin boldak border and should be conversant with Customs procedure and be able to arrange timely customs clearing.
- Take care and manage the FO/SO Warehouse business Unit, for proper inventory stacking, bin/Stock cards management, conduct monthly reconciliations and quarterly & annual Physical verification exercises.
- Manage transport and items that may be dispatched from other offices to AOR or on transit.
- Prepare all types of tenders for procurement and process up to getting the approval of competent approving authority.
- Administer construction projects and other contracts that may be established for activities in AOR.
- Maintains PPEs including physical aspect of Fleet Management.
- Ensure that all contracts are always valid.
- Make regular consultations with the Supply team in CO Kabul.
- Any other duties that may be assigned in the interest of the FO/SO or the organisation.
Living and Working Conditions:
Afghanistan is a high-risk country with a very complex operational environment, characterized by uncertainty and frequent security incidents. Movement by all personnel is restricted, coordinated and monitored by the security officers. UNHCR Field Office Kandahar and its guesthouse is located in Mohmmad Jan Khan Watt, near Mirwais Hospital District 6. The office comprises two building for office space and 8 fully furnished bedrooms for staff accommodation with each room having its own washroom. UNHCR Field Office Kandahar is within Kandahar city. UNAMA compound and other UN agencies are 7 KMs distance from UNHCR. Two consulates are currently operational ‘Iran and Pakistan’. A daily radio check is mandatory. All movements are strictly by Armoured Vehicle or by air, UNHCR FOK is covering five provinces in the Southern Region, where the staff are required to conduct field visits occasionally either by road or by air. FO Herat is planned to be covered by FO Kandahar in 2023. A 4-week R&R cycle apply in Afghanistan. Considering the restrictions on staff movement, it is crucial to demonstrate and maintaining a positive attitude when confronted with restraints in social life. Staff interested in the position should be mentally, psychologically, and physically fit and ready to face situations when required to be locked down in the compound bunkers in the office/or Guesthouse due to security incidents.
BA: Business Administration (Required), BA: Engineering (Required), BA: Logistics (Required), BA: Marketing (Required), BA: Mathematics (Required)
CertificationsInstitute of Purchasing and Supply – Other
CompetenciesAccountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Judgement & decision making, Managing performance, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration
UNHCR Salary Calculator
Add.2 to Bi-annual Compendium 2022 – Part B
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.