NORDEM is NORCAP`s programme on human rights democracy and peace. We support international organisations and operations that work in the field of human rights, democratisation and peace with qualified experts. In addition, we offer advice, support the transfer of experience and contribute to research. Our expertise covers such fields as good governance, democratic institutions, independence of the judiciary, judicial and legal reform, human rights, election observation and election assistance.
NORCAP is recruiting a Head of Human Dimension for secondment to the OSCE Programme Office in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. The posting is a 12-month assignment with possible extension. The successful candidate will be under the general direction and supervision of the Head of Programme Office (HoPO) and Deputy Head of Programme Office (D/HoPO). N.B. This vacancy is open for Norwegian passport holders only.
The work of the Programme Office focuses on a range of security issues: from countering terrorism, border security and transnational threats such as human trafficking, to developing the country’s regions, strengthening efforts to combat corruption on all levels, as well as supporting the reform of the justice sector, implementation of election reform, gender equality and building open and resilient societies.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Providing support and advice to the Head of Programme Office and the D/HoPO on policies and major issues related to the
implementation of the OSCE POiB’s human dimension activities;
- In the limits of the mission’s mandate, monitoring and reporting on the developments in the host country from the human
dimension perspective and following the implementation of the OSCE human dimension commitments;
- Taking the lead in defining the strategy and necessary resources for the human dimension programme through the Programme Budgeting process;
- Managing the development, co-ordination and implementation of human dimension activities in response to the needs and
priorities of the country as well in the limits of the mission’s mandate;
- Ensuring all that all human dimension projects are adequately monitored, controlled and reported on;
- Establishing and maintaining contacts with local and national authorities, universities, research institutions, and NGOs;
- Assisting in arranging OSCE regional events, inter alia, regional seminars and visits to the area by OSCE delegations, as well as other events with OSCE participation;
- Supervising the work of all staff in the human activities programme;
- Performing other related duties, including of cross-dimensional nature, as required
General Minimum Requirements
- Excellent physical condition;
- Possession of a valid automobile driving license and ability to drive using manual transmission;
- Ability to cope with physical hardship and willingness to work extra hours and in an environment with limited infrastructure.
Field of Expertise Requirements
- Second-level university degree in political sciences, international relations, public policy, law, international human rights law or
other human rights related fields; A first-level university degree in combination with two years of additional qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the second-level university degree;
- Experience working with human rights, minority or gender issues;
- Demonstrable organizational, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Experience in drafting reports.
Level of Professional Competence Requirements
Second-level university degree in law, public administration, international studies or related fields, or equivalent professional
experience in such areas. As of A first-level university degree in combination with two years of additional qualifying experience may
be accepted in lieu of the second-level university degree.
A minimum of 6 years of relevant, diversified and progressively responsible professional experience in the fields of human rights,
fundamental freedoms, rule of law and democratization. At least 3 years progressively responsible experience at the management
level relevant to the actual position.
Duty Specific Requirements
This particular post has specific requirements:
- Field experience in one or more of the following fields: legal and/or human rights;
- Experience in the field of project management;
- Ability to liaise with representatives of governmental and non-governmental structures;
- Knowledge of international human rights law and mechanisms;
- Professional fluency in the English language, and the ability to draft documents clearly and concisely;
- Very good working knowledge of the Russian language (or knowledge of Kyrgyz) is an advantage;
- Sound analytical skills;
- Cultural sensitivity and judgement;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Ability and willingness to work as a member of team, with people of different cultural, and religious backgrounds, different gender, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
- Computer literate with practical experience using Microsoft applications.
What we offer
- Rewarding work for a renowned global organisation
- Access to a network of humanitarian, peace, and development professionals
- Join NORCAP’s team of experts and be considered for future assignments elsewhere
- A dedicated Staff Care Unit
How to apply
- When submitting your application, kindly register in English your full employment history and education. Please include your full name as written in your passport. Uploaded CVs alone will not be reviewed.
- NORCAP values diversity, equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
- NORCAP reserves the right to conduct a full background check on shortlisted candidates
- Approved Health Certificate will be required prior to contract commencement and assignment
- Feedback will be given to all applicants within four weeks after the closing of this advertisement.
- Apply before 9th August 2023,11.59PM CET
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Kyrgstan, please click here.