- Organization: UNDP – United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Afghanistan
- Grade: Level not specified – Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Human Resources
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2023-03-24
AFGHAN nationals only
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is the leading United Nations organization fighting to end the injustice of poverty, inequality, and climate change. Working with our broad network of experts and partners in 170 countries, we help nations to build integrated, lasting solutions for people and planet. UNDP has been working in Afghanistan for more than 50 years on challenges related to climate change and resilience, gender, governance, health, livelihoods, and rule of law. Under the broader framework of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and in close coordination with other UN agencies, UNDP is supporting Afghan people’s aspiration for peace, prosperity, and sustainability.
Under the direct supervision of the Human Resources Analyst, the HR Associate ensures effective delivery of transparent HR services in the Country Office. The HR Associate promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and contributes to the maintenance of high staff morale. The HR Associate works in close collaboration with the teams across the office, in Operations, Programme and projects teams as well as corporate teams, in support of successful CO performance in HR management.
The Human Resources Associate supports the delivery of HR services by the unit for the full life cycle of personnel—from the facilitation of recruitments, through hire and onboarding, contract managements, life and organizational events, and separation from service. The HR Associate provides support to personnel by responding to queries and directing them through UNDP self-service platforms as applicable; they liaise with the Global Shared Services Centre for the transactional processing, supports services provided to agencies, funds and programmes, and promotes a client-oriented approach to their work, nurturing good relationships and collaboration with country office and project teams as well as with GSSC and headquarters. They are responsible for the timely execution of HR activities in line with rules and regulations, corporate policies and frameworks, with transparency and integrity.
Duties and Responsibilities
Supports the administration and implementation of HR strategies and policies, the suitable application of processes and procedures.
- Provides full compliance of HR records and reports with UN rules and regulations, UNDP policies, procedures and strategies, effective implementation of the internal control framework, and the proper functioning of the HR management system and practices.
- Provides information on corporate strategies, changes in rules and regulations, implementation of personnel rules, strategic use of contractual modalities, application of entitlements, HR business processes.
- Supports business process mapping and streamlining, and provides input the drafting and updating of standard operating procedures.
Assists in the provision of HR services for full life cycles of personnel through effective administration of human resources
- Supports hiring managers in the preparation and submission of recruitment packages to in accordance with HR standards and corporate requirements.
- Supports the screening and maintenance of country office local positional functional rosters.
- Acts on, monitors and tracks all transactions related to positions, recruitment, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through corporate enterprise resource planning, talent acquisition and service platforms.
- Coordinates administrative support to retirees ensuring the timely entry of their MIP contributions, reception of bank deposit slips and finance unit related processes and entering relevant information in Quantum.
Supports in HR Services to UNDP and other UN agencies
- Maintains the country office staffing table and supports workforce planning.
- Facilitates the processing of locally administered entitlements.
- Validates cost-recovery charges in Quantum for HR services provided by UNDP to other agencies. Provides support and information on personnel benefits to UN agencies based on UNDP policies and practices.
- Submits, upon receipt from managers and budget owners, instructions for the creation or update of positions in Quantum
- Acts as absence processor and supports unit/team leave monitors.
- Provides support in the promotion of work/life balance issues and other initiatives for staff wellbeing, including those related to a safe and secure environment in the workplace.
Supports the facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the area of human resources
- Supports and conducts training and HR clinics on human resources, including on- and offboarding.
- Contributes to the information channels for HR, including intranet sites, bulletins and other communication tools.
- Synthesizes lessons learnt and best practices in HR.
- Contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business direction and strategy – System Thinking
- Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
Business direction and strategy – Effective Decision-Making
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
Business management – Communication
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
Business management – Digital Awareness and Literacy
- Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed.
Business management – Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs.
- Provide input to the development of customer service strategy.
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests.
- Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
Business management – Operations Management
- Ability to effectively plan, organize and oversee the Organization’s processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner.
- Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms.
HR – Talent management – Diversity and inclusion
- Ability to design and deliver diversity and inclusion approaches; ability to integrate diversity and inclusion considerations into the specific people and organisational strategies, policies and initiatives;
- knowledge of the theory and methods to mitigate biases and eliminate discrimination; knowledge of
- practical ways to increase participation of underrepresented groups in the workforce; knowledge of
- inclusive workplace practices and behaviours
Required Skills and Experience
- Six (6) years with High School Diploma or three (3) with Bachelors’ Degree of relevant Human Resources experience required;.
- Knowledge of data analytics and reporting related to HR metrics
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP HR module experience, especially Oracle-based systems is required.
- Prior UN/UNDP experience and familiarity with its policies and procedures, particularly in the applicable job area, is an added advantage.
- HR academic studies or certification from a reputable institution is a distinct advantage.
- Experience in administration of HR benefits and entitlements and talent development and workforce planning highly desirable.
- Experience in conducting new hire orientation and onboarding activities is desired.
- Experience in handling recruitment processes highly desired.
- Experience in conducting new hire orientation and onboarding activities is desirable.
Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.