- Organization: FAO – Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Dhaka
- Grade: Consultancy – Consultant – Contractors Agreement
- Occupational Groups:
- Political Affairs
- Legal – Broad
- Democratic Governance
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Closing Date: 2023-04-07
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO representatives, is to assistant governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The FAO Representation in Bangladesh is organized around three main units: Programme, Operations and Administration and has a sub- office in Cox Bazar. The current portfolio of projects includes activities related to Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries, Natural Resource Management
Under the overall managerial administrative leadership of the FAO Representative in Bangladesh, the consultant will be under the direct supervision of the Senior Technical Adviser.
The incumbent will contribute to the country’s programme and portfolio as foreseen in the country programme framework and specifically agriculture sector and Policy in Bangladesh.
Tasks and responsibilities
The specific duty of the Policy and Sector Analytical Specialist (Policy and Institutional Analyst) is to provide technical guidance for the TSU project. Specifically, the consultant is expected to provide strategic guidance to the components of reviewing and analyses of policy environment, and identifying missing policy. Finally, s/he will be responsible for developing recommendations for policy changes that will accelerate the agricultural sector transformation.
• Assist the STA to provide strategic advice to the Bangladesh Agriculture Research Council and Ministry of Agriculture in developing and implementing the project activities.
• Review and take stock of key policies, strategies, action plans and other relevant documents in support of efforts in agrifood system transformation in Bangladesh;
• Analyse the context, assess opportunities for investments, collaborations, and forging consensus about priorities and means of coordinated implementation between different investment stakeholders in the public and private sectors, civil society and development partners.
• Conduct a series of consultations with key stakeholders, including government institutions, the private sector, (I) NGOs, academia, training and research institutions,, farmers’ organizations, youth representatives, and women-led entrepreneurs to take stock of needs and priorities .
• Define viable and effective pathways to agrifood system transformation in Bangladesh;
• Draft a set of prioritised actions, including – policy recommendations, institutional development, access to key technologies and services and the required investments to facilitate and accelerate the envisaged agrifood system transformation in Bangladesh;
• Lead and contribute to the develop a comprehensive investment plan and resource mobilization strategy for discussion among key stakeholders either in a national conference or individually among key stakeholders with a view to soliciting views and suggestions;
• Build and strengthen networks of the national and sub-national institutions with the relevant regional institutions.
• Carry out any other relevant activities as requested by STA
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced University degree preferably PhD in economics or related subject
• 5 years of relevant experience in fields related to agriculture, policy reform, driving sector transformation, and/or other relevant areas of work
• Working knowledge (level C) of English and limited knowledge (level B) of one of the official FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, or Russian) for COF. For PSA.SBS, working knowledge of English.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strong analytical skills: ability to summarize and present complex information in effective manner.
• Skills in networking, negotiation, persuasion and advocacy for mainstreaming new concepts and approaches.
• Excellent communication skills including, extent and relevance of experience in programme/project formulation, analysis, planning and implementation.
• Relevant work experience in Bangladesh and Asia is an asset.
• Relevance and extent of knowledge and experience in working with UN Coordination, Civil Society Organization, national governmental, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency