Organization: WFP – World Food Programme
Grade: Junior level – NO-B, National Professional Officer – Locally recruited position
Closing Date: 2023-02-05
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP has been working in Afghanistan since 1963. WFP food assistance aims to help the most vulnerable, food-insecure Afghans, including women and children, and families affected by conflict and natural disasters. In the approved Country Strategic Plan (2018-2022), WFP Afghanistan is well placed to provide comprehensive support to the country in achieving Zero Hunger by 2030 via its six closely interrelated outcomes, which range from emergency response to livelihoods creation, as well as nutrition Programmes based on a life-cycle approach, and the strengthening of national food systems.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters, and the impact of climate change.
The Logistics Officer reports directly to the Head of Area Office.
The incumbent will assist with the overall supervision and operation of all logistics management, workshop activities and oversight of field office’s logistics operations in accordance with the procedures, normative guidelines and business rules as set by WFP.
To contribute to daily planning and coordination of WFP logistics operations including monitoring of services provided by contracted external organizations to ensure cost-effective operations and that set objectives are achieved in full.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Contribute towards the development of logistics plans and processes ensuring compliance with wider logistics policies and WFP standards.
2. Support or manage logistics projects or operational activities following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
3. Collect and analyse data through research and networking with colleagues to recommend actions to senior staff to improve performance of local logistics operations.
4. Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimise use of available funds.
5. Contribute to consolidation and preparation of operational pipeline planning, and to the management of operational aspects of the supply chain (procurement, shipping, port operation), including checking document and customs clearance readiness, loading and discharging operations and contracting of applicable transport, warehouse and any relevant logistics services.
6. Contribute to supply chain by providing technical support and guidance to other CO unit/ services, divisions, particularly for emergency response.
7. Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
8. Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), supporting a WFP-wide view of logistics activities that enables informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
9. Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries (e.g. through the design and review of training materials).
10. Identify and build productive relationships with logistics colleagues and staff within the area of assignment to support an integrated approach to food assistance.
11. Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices, participate in preparation of CO Logistics Capacity Assessment (LCA), to ensure WFP are able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
12. Participate in the on-going review of internal processes and procedures and identify ways to increase the day-to-day efficiencies.
13. Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
14. Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced University degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business Management or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Five years or more of professional experience in a relevant field of work, specifically in logistics management, with a background and interest in international humanitarian development
Fluency in spoken and written English, Pashto and Dari is required.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Position Title: Logistics Officer
Contract: Fixed Term (FT) – 12 months RENEWABLE
Duty Stations: Mazar
Number of Positions: 1 (One)
Salary: Competitive remuneration package
Medical Plan: International valid medical plan valid also for staff, spouse and dependents children under 18 years
WFP Work Envirionment
WFP is committed to ensuring that all its workplaces are free from abuse, offensive behaviour, harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. WFP is also committed to promoting a work culture in which every employee understands, and is able to carry out, his/her personal responsibilities for maintaining the dignity of work colleagues. WFP seeks to promote gender equality and the empowerment of women. We believe our mission of fighting global hunger worldwide can only be achieved if women, men, girls and boys are offered equal opportunities in terms of access to resources and services and participation in decision making roles.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Sunday, 11th September 2022.
Female applicants and qualified applicants with disabilties are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.