- Organization: UNDP – United
- Nations Development Programme
- Location: Kabul
- Grade: Level not specified – Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2023-02-24
This position is open to Afghanistan nationals ONLY
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is the leading United Nations organization fighting to end the injustice of poverty, inequality, and climate change. Working with our broad network of experts and partners in 170 countries, we help nations to build integrated, lasting solutions for people and planet. UNDP has been working in Afghanistan for more than 50 years on climate change and resilience, gender, governance, health, livelihoods, and rule of law. Under the broader framework of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and in close coordination with other UN agencies, UNDP is supporting Afghan people’s aspiration for peace, prosperity, and sustainability. UNDP is currently implementing its flagship crisis response programme, ABADEI (Area Based Approach to Development Emergency Initiatives), as part of the ongoing UN-led response to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe and the breakdown of Afghanistan’s economy following the August 2021 shift in power.
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Programme Advisor and the direct supervision of the Programme Specialist (Quality Assurance), the Programme Analyst – Quality Assurance is responsible for providing support to implementation of quality management of programmes and projects within UNDP programme management unit.
The Programme Analyst (Quality Assurance) works in close collaboration with other team members in programme unit, project teams, RBM, partnerships, programme finance/resource management and integrated risk management teams and implementing partners to implement quality management programming, project appraisal and programme implementation processes, organizes programme/project level capacity assessments as well as implements training in programme quality management. The incumbent will provide project assurance role ensuring projects in their portfolio are prepared and monitored according to UNDP rules and guidelines and provide oversight and guidance support in the entire project management cycle.
Key Duties and Accountabilities
The Programme Analyst will be responsible of the following duties:
• Implementation of programme quality management
• Quality management and oversight of CO programming processes
• Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
• Provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management
Ensures implementation of programme quality management of the following results:
• Keeps abreast of changes in UNDP policies and procedures, POPP and ensures that UNDP´s corporate guidelines are adhered to in programme quality management.
• Applies UNDP´s rules and guidance on partner capacity assessments and organizes an accurate procedure in the CO for various types of partner capacity assessments.
• Contributes to analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, CPD, CPAP and other documents.
• Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned.
• Leads monitoring processes & support evaluation of the country programme results at both outcome and output levels in close coordination and collaboration with project and regional M&E officers.
• Ensures follow up on audit recommendations.
• Support development of operational procedures for programme quality management and carries out business processes mapping and establishment and regular review/update of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in the area of work area in collaboration with the RBM team.
Ensures effective management of the CO programming and programme implementation processes, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Assist in preparation CO Results Reports and other periodic information and reports for the partners, donor community and other key stakeholders.
• Oversees, assures and guides projects in all aspects of project management cycle and ensures adherence to quality standards as per POPP rules and regulations.
• Responsible for fulfilling the Programme Officer functions including project assurance and oversight role as guided by the UNDP internal control framework (ICF).
• Oversees and coordinates accurate and timely input of project information into the project management module in ATLAS/Quantum. Prompts the Programme Team and ensures that ATLAS/Quantum information is correct and updated.
• Ensures organizational set-up and project management systems are fully functional and creates best possible enabling environment for high level performance of project implementation teams. Ensures timely recruitment and availability of high quality and specialized project teams;
• Effectively applies RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring of the achievement of results and management of risks to project and country programme targets and results.
• Initiates project, presents project to PAC, entering project information into Quantum, finalization of contribution ahmeagreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review.
• Aggregates reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Guides and where applicable takes the lead in preparation and quality assurance of donor reports.
• Ensure that results and lessons learned feed into the analytical and project work (i.e. results are used to make decisions);
• Ensures that proper operational and financial closure of projects in Atlas occurs on a timely basis according to agreed terms with donors and UNDP procedures.
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy in cooperation with the Resource Management Team focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Contributes to development of partnerships with UN Agencies, IFIs, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
• Analyses and researches information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
• Provides management support in engaging with partners through responsible parties and grantees using programmatic processes.
• In collaboration with the Design and Partnerships team, supports the preparation of concept notes, briefs, technical notes and information packages as required during partnership building and resource mobilization efforts of the country office.
Ensures provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Identifies sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
• Supports development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the strategic partners.
• Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
• Organizes trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
Perform other duties within your functional profile as assigned and deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the office
• Master’s degree in Development Studies, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related area is required or,
• Bachelor’s degree in Development Studies, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related areas.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
• Minimum of two (02) years with master’s degree, or four (04) years with Bachelor’s degree of professional work experience providing support of progressively responsible experience in programme/project management.
• Experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, management, monitoring and evaluation of projects.
• Experience in results-based programme/project management with work experience in UNDP and demonstrated knowledge of UNDP policies and procedures is desirable.
• Good knowledge of an ERP System (such as Quantum, SAP etc.) is a strong advantage.
• Experience in handling diverse data including web-based management systems is required.
• Proficiency in English is required – both written and oral.
• Fluency in local language of duty station Dari and/or Pashto is required
Expected Demonstration of Competencies
Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
Learn Continuously LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
Adapt with Agility LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
Act with Determination LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
Engage and Partner LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
2030 Agenda: Engagement & Effectiveness – Effectiveness Performance and data analysis and sharing lessons. Programmatic learning. Programming principles & standards and development effectiveness principles
2030 Agenda: Engagement & Effectiveness – Effectiveness Project Quality Assurance
Business Management – Monitoring Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
2030 Agenda: Engagement & Effectiveness – Effectiveness RBM standards and practices for programming
Partnership Management – Resource Mobilization Ability to identify funding sources, match funding needs (programmes/projects/initiatives) with funding opportunities, and establish a plan to meet funding requirements
Business Direction & Strategy Strategic thinking
Business Development Integration within the UN
Candidates selected pursuant to this vacancy may be subject to UNDP’s policy on Probation upon assignment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.