|Based on GC salary Scale
|No. Of Jobs:
|Balkh with frequent travel to Faryab, Jowzjan, Sar-e-Pol and Samangan
|Years of Experience:
|At least 5 years in a similar position. Experience with international organizations is preferred. Experience dealing with bilateral and multilateral donor funding.
|1 Year ( Depending on Funding availability)
|Completed Degree of Higher Education in relevant fields such as Political or Social Science, International Humanitarian Law or Human Rights.
About Geneva Call:
In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organization, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian organization foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
The Project Officer will be in charge of the implementation of project activities as part of Geneva Call’s program to enhance the protection of the civilian population in Afghanistan.
The implementation and management of project(s) in accordance to the work plan, budget(s), donor requirements and internal procedures: Planning, Coordination & Reporting
- Participate in the drafting of annual and monthly program plans, budgets, and project activities monitoring plans in consultation with Head of Program, Support Coordinator, and other team members;
- Monitor and report on all project expenses of budgets and available funding, including supporting documents;
- Responsible for quality project implementation and monitoring in accordance with Geneva Call and donor work plans, budget and procedures;
- Manage safe-keeping of information and knowledge, including filing of programme documents and materials;
- Collect and analyse, through regular field missions, information relating to the context, conflict situation, humanitarian needs and potential impact on Geneva Call’s work in project area(s) and relay this to Head of Programme.
- Maintains a close work relationship with partner team and in particular its Project Manager;
- Seeks partner’s highest level of engagement and anticipates/reports on shortcomings (activities, administrative, other);
- Plans with partner, anticipates and proposes solutions on the activities, constraints, capacity building.
Communications & External relations
- In coordination with the Head of Programme, engage local and international organizations regularly;
- Assist Head of Programme in engaging senior officials and other key stakeholders;
- Support Head of Programme to produce external communications materials in coordination with Country Director and global/regional Communications team(s);
- Draft speaking points and messages for Geneva Call including country team members;
- Provide material (photos, videos, stories from the field) about the project and timely reports to showcase project outcomes and achievements;
- Support implementation of communications strategy including activities, campaigns, events and other initiatives.
- Monitor the security situation vis-à-vis the project, project partners and Geneva Call, preparing risk assessments and suggesting mitigating measures to the management of Geneva Call in Afghanistan and following up on incidents as necessary.
- Remains at all times involved with vetting procedures and concerns while working with partners, suppliers, interlocutors.
- Attend and represent Geneva Call as required at conferences, seminars and other form of interest to the organization.
- The duty station for the position is Balkh, but considering the GC’s activities, this position requires frequent travels to the provinces in the region as Samangan, Faryab, Jowzan and Sarepul.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the line manager.
Education and experience
- Completed Degree of Higher Education in relevant fields such as Political or Social Science, International Humanitarian Law or Human Rights.
- At least 5 years in a similar position. Experience with international organizations is preferred. Experience dealing with bilateral and multilateral donor funding.
- IT Tools (MS Office, Excel, email).
- Experience in reporting, monitoring and research.
- Demonstrable knowledge of issues of humanitarian affairs and humanitarian framework and capacity for in-depth analysis.
- Experience in advocacy developing professional relationships with various stakeholder including armed actors and civil society and working in a neutral and objective manner.
- Required: Pashto, Dari and English.
- Uzbeki language is mandatory
- Understanding and respect for organizational principles, vision, mission and confidentiality.
- Strong logic and organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability to change.
- Ability to take responsibility, proactive and efficient functioning, strong communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team and multicultural environment.
- Accuracy and reliability, ability to meet deadlines under pressure.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the GC Performance Management p. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The individual Work- and Professional Development Plan
- The Competency Framework
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position : Project Officer
- Type of Contract: Fixed term contract (National position)
- Activity rate: 100%
- Work place: Balkh with frequent travel to Faryab, Jowzjan, Sar-e-Pol and Samangan
- Preferred start date: As soon as possible