icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. icddr,b as a values-based organization encourages women and people with disabilities.
The Advancing Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (AdSEARCH) project of icddr,b aims to improve sexual and reproductive health (SRH) outcomes and realise rights among different population groups with distinct SRH needs in Bangladesh. To be implemented by researchers from different divisions of icddr,b, this research project will explore, understand, and assess some key components of SRHR among different population groups who have the highest-burden, distinct needs and vulnerabilities. Under this umbrella project, we are conducting a study which intends to develop and assess the impact of Balika Bodhu, a combined social norm and empowerment intervention for promoting SRHR among the married adolescent girls.
The position holder will report to the Emeritus Scientist and will be responsible for planning, organizing, implementing and monitoring quantitative research to attain study objectives within the guidelines of the research protocol and organizational values. The specific areas of responsibilities are detailed below:
- Identify new research ideas and develop concept notes and research proposals;
- Acquire appropriate knowledge of the field through literature review;
- Create detailed research design and methodology to achieve the study objectives;
- Estimate requirements for financial and non-financial resources;
- Coordinate with Research Administration (RA), HR and Finance for approvals for research-related activities;
- Contribute to other colleagues’ research protocols in order to develop effective protocols that meet the new research objectives.
- Ensure quality data acquisition;
- Analyse data and guide junior staff in data analysis;
- Interpret the results;
- Write up findings as reports, papers, policy briefs;
- Disseminate study findings.
- Involve junior researchers in discussions, data analysis, manuscript writing etc.;
- Conduct workshops and training sessions to share knowledge and experiential learning in order to develop sound science within the centre.
- Create detailed project plan covering milestones, deliverables etc.; Assign work to team members and initiate activities as per project plan;
- Secure financial and non-financial resources;
- Train staff on data collection and sample collection procedures; Supervise data collection; Prepare periodic reports from the involved studies;
- Develop and revise tools; Prepare research communication materials;
- Coordinate and liaise with scientists in the country and abroad, the GoB an NGOs;
- Take corrective actions to comply with donor mandates and research protocols in order to obtain study objectives with adherence to quality standards and project timelines.
Required qualification and experience
- Masters in Statistics/Applied Statistics with good academic records;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in quantitative research (preferably in gender; women’s empowerment; violence against women and children; sexual and reproductive health and rights. Skills in multi-level and trajectory analyses and Markov Modelling will be preferred).
Contract Type and duration:
- Fixed Term; duration will be 1 year with a possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and performance.
Salary & benefits:
- Annual Tk. 1,459,020/- inclusive of house rent, conveyance, and other admissible benefits;
- 14.8% provident fund contribution, income tax paid by icddr,b, children allowance @Tk.1,917/- per child per month, festival bonus, contributory healthcare support including dependent spouse and children, group life insurance, and subsidized canteen. Transport and daycare facilities are subject to space availability.
Notes of attention:
- Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for written test /interview;
- The Organization reserves the right to make an appointment at a grade lower than that advertised;
- icddr,b does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Interested candidates who fulfil the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by December 16, 2023.