Brief Details About SDGCC Public Policy Analyst at UNDP in India:
- Organization: UNDP – United Nations Development Program
- Location: New Delhi
- Grade: Level not specified – Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Political Affairs
- Legal – Broad
- Legal – International Law
- Public Policy and Administration
- Closing Date: 2023-05-16
An organization of the United Nations, UNDP works in approximately 170 nations and territories to combat poverty, lessen inequality, and promote human and economic development. The UNDP places a strong emphasis on building local capacity for long-term development and self-sufficiency. By increasing access to economic opportunities and resources, connecting poverty programs with national goals and policies, and ensuring that the voice of the poor is heard more, UNDP assists countries in developing strategies to combat poverty. In addition, UNDP aims to increase the efficiency of development aid and facilitate debt reduction at the macro level. The main objective of UNDP is to assist nations in developing and exchanging solutions to problems related to democratic governance, poverty alleviation, crisis prevention and recovery, the environment, and energy for sustainable development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide vision, leadership, and oversight to the SDGCC team and ensure they meet the committed deliverables as per the signed Memorandum of Agreement with the Government of Jammu & Kashmir. This would involve improving the SDG monitoring and reporting system in Jammu & Kashmir, and strengthen the statistical, technical, and human-resources capacity of the government for time-bound achievements of the SDGs.
- Liaise, coordinate, and manage the technology consultant to use innovative technologies and to develop SDG Dashboard to build a robust institutional structure for conducting regular monitoring of SDGs.
- Responsible for coordinating with the various departments, SDG wise, to help them strengthen the implementation of SDGs in the State.
- Coordination with agencies involved in the process of implementation of SDGs, reporting, including Government of Jammu & Kashmir, UN Agencies, NITI Aayog, Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI), and technical agencies and UNDP CO.
- Lead the development and review of monitoring frameworks at different levels: Ensure that the State/District/Local Indicator Framework is developed as per the central ministry guidelines and a comprehensive Monitoring and Evaluation plan is in place to measure performance against set targets.
- Lead the process of computation of indices, annual district wise SDG rankings, preparation of related reports and dashboard.
- Ensure development and dissemination of knowledge products.
- Lead the process for building awareness and capacity of all stakeholders around SDG vision of State and its targets, ensure the finalization of SDG VISION 2030 by Government of Jammu & Kashmir and translate vision into action plans and measurable targets for achieving SDGs.
- Coordinating with line departments on SDG-related themes for horizontal convergence and with districts for vertical convergence.
- Suggesting and supporting the preparation of detailed concept notes in collaboration with other SDG Specialists for possible actions that will be identified to dovetail state development priorities with the SDG framework.
- Bringing in international knowledge/experts and the corporate sector, CSOs to partner for the achievement of the SDGs and identify the areas of focus with the greatest potential for impact and scale, in collaboration with the government, sectoral colleagues and UNDP team.
- Performing other duties within the purview of the program and any related activities as assigned by the Supervisor.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in public policy, public administration, international development or related social science field will be advantageous
- 2 years of State/National experience including advocacy, representation, communication role, project design & delivery, partnerships, fundraising, reporting and documentation in the field of social development with Bachelor’s Degree
- Hands-on management skills and proven team leadership experience along with experience in leading office or sub-offices as part of a larger organization or entity
- Preferable prior knowledge and experience on SDGs or relevant equivalent experience in working with government at the national level or sub-national level being responsible for inter-sectoral planning
- Relevant experience of working in Jammu and Kashmir is desirable
- Promotes and enforces ethics and integrity and creates precedence in good practice
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, ability to take initiative, adopt a corporate approach to complex situations
- Creates and promotes an enabling environment for open communication
- Strong policy analytical skills that can be applied to the development and application of methods and tools for SDGs
- Understanding of political issues and context.
- Skills and knowledge to build linkages between SDGs and with the state priorities
- Displays gender sensitivity and promotes gender equality in all aspects of work
- Ability to advise on problems carefully and logically, leading to fact based and practical recommendations
- Fluency in written and oral English language is a must. Knowledge of Hindi and Kashmiri is desirable.