- Organization: NRC – Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Dhaka
- Grade: Level not specified – Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Administrative support
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Human Settlements (Shelter, Housing, Land, Property)
- Closing Date: 2023-03-19
Our Ideal Candidate
The role of the Shelter & WASH Assistant position is to mostly assist in implementing Shelter & WASH activities. Aside provide support to the implementation of Shelter, innovation and Energy in-kind, voucher and cash-based assistance, conducting a survey, field outreach with the community, and monitoring day-to-day implementation, distribution, construction follow-up monitoring, community sensitization and coordination with SMS agencies and relevant stockholder under the guidance of line manager.
Key Task and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of Coordinator-Shelter & WASH, conduct needs assessments, verification, and data collection to identify cases for shelter & WASH assistance in refugee camps and host communities.
- Will be responsible for carrying out the WASH activities with the implementation/rehabilitation and construction of the water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) component/Program, including supporting Community WASH incentive workers to complete hygiene behavior change programming, and supporting community water management committees with quality standards.
- Provide technical support with capacity building to incentive workers with infrastructure construction/rehabilitation monitoring and follow-up, conduct HP and sensibilize other sessions/training/orientation with BNF and progress/obstacle sharing with line manager.
- Prepared infrastructure technical design and BoQ with maintained standards.
- Supervise distributions, monitor loading and offloading of shelter/wash materials, and verify materials meet technical specifications.
- Provide direction, assigns tasks, and give instructions to daily workers/incentive workers and monitor the progress with quality of delivery and ensure the implementation according to plan.
- Take part in mobilizing refugee and host communities for awareness campaigns and conducting research using focus group discussions, interviews, and questionnaires.
- Conduct outreach activities within the camps and serve as a link between NRC programs and the local community, ensuring their input into shelter/wash programme activities.
- Establish excellent relations with beneficiaries including understanding the needs of beneficiaries through regular visits and frequent contact.
- Perform any other task as requested by the line manager or senior management as per needs.
- Assist with the implementation of Shelter & WASH, emergency, and innovation program activities according to the plan of action, promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Conduct door-to-door survey/assessment with a prior orientation through kobo collect and other designed tools.
- Identifies gaps, and problems in the implementation area of own activities.
- Prepares and files accurate records of project activities and ensures all information is accurate and available in time.
- Promote and share ideas for the improvement of the Shelter & WASH department
Key Education and Skills Requirements
- Good knowledge of the refugee context in Bangladesh
- Professional fluency in the Bangla language (ability to communicate in the Chittagonian dialect)
- Technical educational background with experience and physical experience in the refugee context is highly encouraged o apply.
- Experience with infrastructure design through AutoCAD, scratch, rivet etc. is preferable.
- Knowledge of the Burmese language is an asset
- Experience from working in a non-profit organization is an asset
- Information management with raw/field data and documentation with final data will be added value to the position.
- Knowledge of the software programs (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
We welcome applications from qualified and interested candidates, particularly local candidates, from the Cox’s Bazar area. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Contract period: 12 months (extendable)
Duty Station: Ukhiya, Cox’s Bazar Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary and allowances as per NRC’s salary scale, Life and medical insurance, maternity leaves and allowances, festival bonus, annual and others leave, etc.
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify. Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.