Brief Details About the JOB:
- Organization: UNDP – United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Chandigarh
- Grade: Consultancy – National Consultant – Locally recruited Contractors Agreement
- Occupational Groups:
- Operations and Administrations
- Administrative support
- Women’s Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Closing Date: 2023-05-12
The United Nations General Assembly created the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) as a United Nations organization in 1966. Its goal is to help communities and nations eradicate poverty, implement the Paris Climate Agreement, and realize the Sustainable Development Goals. The UNDP places a strong emphasis on building local capacity for long-term development and self-sufficiency. It helps nations make the transition to democracy, offers technical assistance and advice on policy matters, builds institutional and individual capacity within nations, informs people about democratic changes and campaigns for them, encourages negotiation and conversation, and shares examples of what works. The UNDP has its main office in New York City, and its 36-member Executive Board is made up of representatives from both poor and industrialized nations.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Job:
The state government will get technical assistance from UN Women India and the State Technical Consultant, GB, to promote gender budgeting, under the general direction of the Program Coordinator, GRB, and the direct supervision of the Program Analyst, GRB. The State Technical Consultant-GB will collaborate with the project team to make sure that the project delivers outcomes in the State that meet the necessary quality standards and are completed within the allotted time and budget constraints.
Working closely with the MWCD nodal authority, the State Technical Consultant-GB will perform the following duties:
Strengthening Coordination and GB Efforts at the state level:
- Establish/strengthen effective coordination mechanisms within and among Women and Child Development/Social Welfare, Planning, Finance and other line departments to institutionalize and promote GB in the state;
- Provide technical expertise and support to nodal department to set up/review and monitor institutional mechanisms and processes to adopt/advance GB in the state including Gender Budget Statement, Gender Budget Cells, Inter-departmental monitoring processes;
- Provide technical support for issuing advisory and necessary guidelines for line departments at the state level to create/strengthen gender budget cells, and implement GB;
- Assist the nodal department in undertaking actions to advance GB in the state as per the mandate and priorities of the department;
- Coordinate with relevant actors including state legislators, civil society organizations and women’s networks on GB and women’s budgets;
- Advocate for organizing pre-budget consultation with CSO, women’s groups, academia and other stakeholders in collaboration with WCD, Finance and line departments.
Apply also: Finance Senior Analyst
Research and Documentation:
- Undertake mapping and documentation of the planning, budgeting and auditing processes at the state level;
- Undertake state-specific situational analysis of gender budgeting initiatives to map the current status;
- Support the state government in developing state action plan on GB;
- Provide support in undertaking sectoral analysis for select sectors on GB and developing state specific sectoral policy briefs;
- Document and disseminate resources and knowledge products on GB, such as case studies and good practices at the state level;
- Undertake state level budgetary and policy analysis from a gender perspective, and prepare briefing reports to inform policy formulation;
- Support IT specialist and project team in roll out and implementation of e-governance tool on GB.
Facilitating Training and Capacity Development of relevant constituents on GRB:
- Compile/develop training tools, manual, and other resource material on GB for the state;
- Coordinate with the state nodal department and training institutions to conduct state specific training needs assessment as per level of officials, develop capacity building strategy and training calendar for GB;
- Organize state level gender budgeting capacity development training programmes for state level officials, relevant stakeholders and create a pool of local GB experts;
- Monitor the outcomes of the trainings by undertaking pre and post assessment, and developing quality training reports.
Implementation of project at state level:
- Coordinate with project team for timely completion of project deliverables including periodic reporting;
- Preparation of monthly progress reports;
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Input and technical expertise provided to state nodal and line departments on GB.
- Evidence based state action plan developed with the state nodal department on GB with monitorable targets and timelines.
- Institutional mechanisms and processes to strengthen GB developed and implemented.
- Training and capacity development of state officials, relevant stakeholders strengthened based on assessments and training calendar on GB developed.
- Facilitating state level training programmes on GB, and documenting results.
- Timely compilation and submission of reports.
- All the information related to the assignment.
Core Values / Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Focuses on impact and result for the partners and responds positively to feedback;
- Sound understanding of development issues and gender;
- Adheres to deadlines and follows up on time-bound issues;
- Maintains diplomacy, tact and strict confidentiality with internal and external partners and clients.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Social Sciences/Economics/Social Work /Gender Studies/Public Administration/Policy or related fields.
- At least 5 years of experience at the national/state level working with development projects including hands-on experience of design, implementation and monitoring/evaluation of projects, preferably on Gender Responsive Governance, Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment.
- Some experience of working with national/ state governments on gender issues, preferably on gender budgeting. State specific experience will be preferable.
- Experience of undertaking budgetary/ policy analysis and capacity building of government officials.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Proficiency in English; good command over Hindi and state language in reading and writing.