- Organization: WHO
- Location: Senegal
- Type: Full Time
- Job Title: Technical Officer
- Close on: 16 Mar 2023
The World Health Organization (WHO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) responsible for global public health. It was established in 1948 and has its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
The WHO’s primary objective is to ensure that people around the world attain the highest possible level of health. To achieve this, it provides leadership and sets norms and standards for health, conducts research, provides technical assistance and support to countries, and coordinates international health programs.
Some of the key areas of work for the WHO include:
- Communicable diseases: The WHO works to prevent and control the spread of infectious diseases, such as HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria.
- Noncommunicable diseases: The WHO focuses on preventing and controlling noncommunicable diseases, such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
- Health systems: The WHO works to strengthen health systems, including improving access to health services, training health workers, and improving the availability of medicines and medical technologies.
- Emergency response: The WHO responds to global health emergencies, such as disease outbreaks and natural disasters.
The WHO is governed by its member states, which meet every year at the World Health Assembly. The organization has over 150 country offices around the world and works closely with other UN agencies, as well as with governments, non-governmental organizations, and other partners.
About UN Careers-Technical Officer/Senegal/2023About
The incumbent will serve as the WHO Advisor for One Health in the context of the WHO Health Emergencies Preparedness and Response program at the regional and ESA sub-regional levels and ensure that the One Health approach and principles are well-integrated into and implemented in emergency preparedness and response. Additionally, the incumbent will assist in coordinating and working with the Tripartite (WHO, OIE, and FAO) agencies to advocate for and promote One Health and to assist nations in implementing One Health strategies for emergency planning and response.
Also, Apply: UN Careers- Associate Information Management Officer
UN Careers-Technical Officer/Senegal/2023 Requirments
- A master’s degree in public health or epidemiology, along with an advanced university degree in veterinary or human medicine.
- advanced training in one health, emergency preparedness and response, and expertise in the epidemiology of zoonotic diseases or emergency management connected to public health.
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in epidemiology and/or public health, including studies into outbreaks and emergency responses. relevant expertise in WHO emergency response policies and operational procedures, including One Health Agenda, risk assessment, and management of infectious hazards.
- Excellent knowledge of French
- Intermediate knowledge of English