The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network. Established in 1965, it is present in 170 countries and territories, working with governments, communities, and organizations to help them find solutions to global challenges such as poverty, inequality, and climate change. The UNDP provides technical assistance, policy advice, and funding for development initiatives in areas such as democratic governance, poverty reduction, crisis prevention and recovery, and environmental sustainability. Its ultimate goal is to help countries achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) adopted by the UN in 2015.
About UN Jobs in Afghanistan-Administrative & Finance Associate
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the principal UN agency working to combat the injustices of poverty, inequality, and climate change. We assist governments in developing comprehensive, long-lasting solutions for people and the earth by collaborating with our extensive network of specialists and partners in 170 countries. Over the last 50 years, UNDP has worked in Afghanistan on issues such as gender equality, governance, health, livelihoods, and the rule of law. The Sustainable Development Program (UNDP) supports the aspirations of the Afghan people for peace, prosperity, and sustainability within the larger context of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and in close collaboration with other UN agencies.
As part of the ongoing UN-led effort to avert a humanitarian disaster and the collapse of Afghanistan’s economy following the change in power in August 2021, UNDP is now undertaking its flagship crisis response program, ABADEI (Area Based Approach to Development Emergency Initiatives).
The ABADEI Strategy is an area-based integrated programming method that is specifically designed to fulfill basic human needs. It combines immediate life-saving aid from humanitarian organizations with the preservation of livelihoods and the building of community resiliency. Its main goals are to address growing poverty and vulnerability, promote social cohesion and community resilience, address climate vulnerability, and make it possible to restore small-scale infrastructure that is essential for meeting basic human needs.
Through vocational skill training, cash-for-work, cash-for-market, small businesses, and livelihood opportunities, it supports the development of immediate sources of income with a focus on at-risk agribusiness and regenerative agriculture infrastructure and services (important for food security). It recognizes the ongoing and recent vulnerabilities of Afghan women and girls, and it tries to help them without making them more vulnerable to violence and loss of opportunities and rights.
Duties of the UN Jobs in Afghanistan-Administrative & Finance Associate
Aid in the execution of operational and financial management plans with a focus on the outcomes listed below:
- Support Area Managers and in close collaboration with the Operations Associate in the Project Field Office ensure proper planning, adherence to internal control systems and safeguarding of measures for efficient and effective use of financial and other resources of the ABADEI programme.
- Ensure full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting systems.
- Support in the preparation of budgets, periodic expenditure reporting, donor reporting and other financial reportings.
- Properly manage bank and cash operations.
- Maintain complete sets of books of accounts and financial records on a daily basis following standard accounting principles.
- Support in the analysis and monitoring of finances, the presentation of forecasts for the ABADEI programme, the monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities and transactions.
- Ensure financial transactions are authorized, recorded, and filed with their required supporting documentation.
- Provide coordination support during the audit and spot check processes in accordance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and procedures, including in pre-audit preparations and ensure the follow ups on the implementation of audit findings.
Make sure the administrative assistance is efficient, concentrating on the following outcomes.
- Provide administrative support for smooth implementation of ABADEI programme.
- Assist in preparing annual and quarterly work plan and periodic reporting.
- Assist in coordinating personnel travel, consultants and partners which relates to the implementation of the ABADEI work plan.
- Ensure availability, efficient deployment and regular maintenance of programme equipment, including, computers, and other equipment for operational purposes.
- Prepare various contractual documents related to procurement of goods and services ensuring adequate protection of the interest of the programme and follow-up on the status of the contract.
- Provide support in administering recruitment and procurement of goods and services in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
- Perform other administrative duties related to the ABADEI programme as assigned by the Area Manager.
Ensures knowledge creation and sharing with a focus on the outcomes listed below.
- Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing and provide guidance to all stakeholders on financial and administrative matters
- Support the organization/conduct of training on financial management and administrative procedures.
- Document lessons learned and best practices in finance and administration.
Requirements of the UN Jobs in Afghanistan-Administrative & Finance Associate
- A high school diploma or a bachelor’s degree in public administration, accounting, finance, or another related field.
- With a High School Diploma, you must have at least six (6) years of experience processing financial transactions, monitoring financial management, and spot-checking financial transactions. You must also have three (3) years of relevant experience with a Bachelor’s degree.
- understanding and practical expertise with office applications and computers (Microsoft Office package, etc.).
How to Apply?
- Create an account: If you find a job that interests you, click on the job title to view the job description and requirements. If you meet the qualifications, create an account on the UNDP Jobs portal.
- Submit your application: Once you have created an account, you can submit your application by filling out the online application form and attaching your resume/CV and cover letter.
- Wait for a response: After submitting your application, you will receive an email confirming that your application has been received. The UNDP recruitment team will then review your application and contact you if you are selected for an interview.
It is important to note that the UNDP has a highly competitive recruitment process, so it is important to ensure that your application is well-prepared and tailored to the position for which you are applying. Good luck!