- Organization: FAO
- Location: Azerbaijan
- Type: Full Time
- Job Title: National Soli Specialist
- Close on: 21 Mar 2023
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to eradicate hunger and malnutrition and promote sustainable agriculture. It was founded in 1945 and is headquartered in Rome, Italy.
The FAO works with governments, civil society organizations, and the private sector to achieve its goal of a world without hunger. Its areas of focus include food security, agriculture, fisheries, forestry, and rural development. The FAO provides technical assistance and advice to countries in these areas, as well as conducting research and providing information and statistics on food and agriculture.
Also, Apply: UN Jobs in Hungary-Human Resources Analyst
The FAO’s work is guided by its commitment to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), particularly SDG 2 which aims to end hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture. The organization also plays a key role in responding to emergencies and crises related to food and agriculture, such as natural disasters and conflict.
Overall, the FAO’s mission is to create a sustainable world where all people have access to enough nutritious food to lead healthy and productive lives.
About UN Jobs in Azerbaijan-National Soil Specialist
Under the overall supervision of the Assistant to FAO Representative in Azerbaijan (AFAOR), the Program Management Specialist (FAPP), the Lead Technical Officer (LTO), and the responsible FAO Technical Team, and under the direct and operational supervision of the Program Management Specialist (FAPP).
Organize, assist in determining the capacities and requirements of laboratories, contribute to the creation of the Soil Laboratory Network, facilitate fieldwork and the collection of representative soil profiles, direct capacity-building initiatives for agency staff, and make a contribution to the creation of an online information and decision-support tool for farmers that focuses on analyzing laboratory data.
The National Soil Specialist will carry out the following tasks under the general supervision of the Assistant to FAO Representative in Azerbaijan (AFAOR), the operational and direct supervision of the Program Management Specialist (FAPP), the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO), and the responsible FAO Technical Team.
Organize and facilitate an inception, progress workshops for relevant project activities;
• Support the assessment of laboratories’ capacities and needs;
• Coordinate the procurement of laboratory equipment (finalization of technical specifications, technical evaluation of the offers, delivery of the equipment and its installation and training on use);
• Coordinate the establishment of the National Soil Laboratory Network for the country;
• Facilitate technical coordination and collaboration between the national and international consultants, laboratory and field teams;
• Advise on the identification of the participants for workshops and other engagements that require participation of different actors;
• Guide the implementation of capacity development programme for agency employees on dry and wet soil chemistry, and on the establishment and maintenance of the Azeri Soil Information System (AzSIS);
• Develop (setup and running) an online information and decision-support system for farmers focused on soil laboratory data interpretation and the provision of soil management recommendations;
• Solicit inputs from specialists (International Soil Specialist, National Soil Specialist (Soil Component) and FAO Technical Team) to prepare regular reports.
UN Jobs in Azerbaijan-National Soil Specialist Requirments
- Advanced university degree in in chemistry and/or chemistry related sciences (organic chemistry, biochemistry, inorganic chemistry, analytical chemistry, and environmental chemistry;
- 7 years of experience in agricultural/environmental analysis, conducting and supporting scientific experiments and research, data analysis and interpretation team working; experience working with farmers;
- Working knowledge of English is required;
- National of Azerbaijan or a resident in the country with a valid work permit.
How to Apply?
- Review job requirements: Review the job description and requirements to make sure you meet the qualifications and experience needed for the position. It is important to carefully read the application instructions and to submit all required documents.
- Create a profile: Create a UN careers profile and complete the online application form. You will need to provide personal and professional information, as well as submit a cover letter and resume.
- Submit your application: Once you have completed your application, click on the submit button to send your application to the UN. You will receive a confirmation email with your application details.
- Wait for a response: After submitting your application, it may take several weeks or months to hear back from the UN. If you are shortlisted for an interview, you will be contacted by a UN representative.
- Attend an interview: If you are invited to an interview, prepare well and attend the interview as scheduled.
- Receive an offer: If you are successful in your application, you will receive an offer from the UN. You will need to accept the offer and follow the instructions provided to complete the hiring process.
It is important to note that the UN has a highly competitive application process, and it may take several attempts to secure a job. Therefore, it is important to remain persistent and continue to apply for jobs that match your skills and experience.