- Organization: WHO
- Location: Yemen
- Job Title: Environmental and Social Safeguard Officer
- Job Type: Temporary
- Close on: 31 Mar 2023
The World Health Organization (WHO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health. It was founded on April 7, 1948, with the goal of promoting health, preventing diseases, and improving healthcare systems worldwide.
WHO’s primary functions include setting global health standards, promoting research and information sharing, providing technical assistance to countries, coordinating international responses to disease outbreaks and emergencies, and providing leadership and advocacy on critical public health issues.
WHO is composed of 194 member states and is governed by the World Health Assembly, which meets annually to set policies and approve budgets. The organization is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, and has six regional offices around the world.
Also, Apply: UN Jobs in Yemen-Supply Chain Monitoring Officer
WHO has played a critical role in global health initiatives, including the eradication of smallpox and the control of polio, malaria, and HIV/AIDS. It has also been instrumental in the response to the COVID-19 pandemic, providing guidance on prevention and treatment, coordinating research efforts, and supporting vaccine distribution.
About UN Jobs in Yemen-Environmental and Social Safeguard Officer
All people’s access to improved health and well-being is emphasized in both the Sustainable Development Goals and the WHO’s Thirteenth General Programme of Work. This entails minimizing health disparities as well as diseases and injuries that are avoidable and brought on by environmental, social, and economic determinants of health. The Healthy Populations team of the WHO Country Office in Yemen’s responsibility is to advance a healthier environment, step up prevention measures, and deal with the underlying causes of social and environmental health hazards.
In order to promote improved health, the team assists with the creation of policies, data collection, analysis, reporting, capacity-building initiatives, and the acquisition of necessary supplies. The Emergency Human Capital Project, which is funded by the World Bank, is responsible for providing money for this post. The population of Yemen will receive crucial health, nutrition, water, and sanitation services as a result of this project. It is carried out by UNOPS, UNICEF, and WHO. The project complies with the World Bank’s Environmental and Social Framework, which was approved in 2018, and expedites its implementation of it.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
. Oversee the implementation of environmental and social safeguards plans and requirements and update these plans when necessary.
2. Coordinate the rollout of capacity-building activities to improve medical waste management in supported facilities, as well as overseeing the installation of waste treatment units.
3. Draft site-specific environmental and social management plans (ESMPs) for project subactivities where relevant.
4. Update the ESMPs for diesel fuel supply, waste treatment units and others, when necessary.
5. Improve tools and processes for stakeholder engagement, including grievance redress mechanisms, workshops with health facility managers, and analysis of beneficiary survey data, and update the stakeholder engagement plan (SEP) regularly.
Raise awareness of contractors and core capacities with regards to the Code of Conduct specifically for preventing and reporting sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) and sexual harassment.
7. Implement strategies regarding social safeguards issues including gender-responsive activities as part of health system strengthening.
8. Promote climate co-benefits in WHO’s operations, through raising awareness of climate change, exploring opportunities to increase energy efficiency and use renewable sources in project activities.
9. Work with other technical units and partners to advance activities such as climate sensitive disease forecasting and proactive response.
10. Be responsible for technical reporting to donors on adherence to environmental and social safeguards requirements in WHO activities.
11. Respond and take timely action on relevant findings of third-party monitoring agencies, WHO internal monitoring and evaluation teams and other sources to ensure adherence to environmental and social safeguards in WHO activities.
UN Jobs in Yemen-Environmental and Social Safeguard Officer Requirments
- a bachelor’s degree in occupational health and safety, environmental health, environmental sciences, social sciences, or a similar discipline.
- Experience working on environmental health projects, climate sustainability initiatives, or gender-responsive health programs, with at least five years of relevant experience and evidence of exposure to other countries, as well as expertise managing complaints and/or engaging the community.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
How to Apply?
- Review job descriptions: Read the job description carefully to ensure that you meet the qualifications and experience required for the job.
- Prepare your application: Prepare your application, including your resume or curriculum vitae (CV) and a cover letter. Be sure to highlight your relevant skills and experience.
- Submit your application: Submit your application online through the WHO Careers website. You will need to create an account and upload your documents. Be sure to submit your application before the deadline.
- Wait for a response: You may receive a confirmation email once your application has been received. The hiring process can take several weeks or months, so be patient and wait for a response from WHO.
It’s also worth noting that WHO often has internship and volunteer opportunities available, which can be a great way to gain experience and learn more about the organization. You can find information on these opportunities on the WHO Careers website as well.