- Organization: WHO – World Health Organization
- Location: Kabul
- Grade: Administrative support – GS-5, General Service – No need for Higher Education – Locally recruited position
- Occupational Groups:
- Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2023-01-18
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
To ensure that effective WHO country presence is established to implement WHO country cooperation strategies that are aligned with Member State’s health and development agendas, and harmonized with the United Nations country teams.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Provide full administrative support to the assigned programme. Draft, review and revise correspondence, reports and documents for proper format and content in consultation with the supervisor. Independently compose correspondence of administrative nature, take notes at meetings, provides informal interpretation/translation when required;
2. Prepare and process travel requests for team members using GSM, arrange for visa issuance, security clearance, flight and hotel bookings, follows up travel related issues of national and international missions;
3. Scan, record, refer and follow up correspondence and documents, evaluate the urgency or critical nature bringing them to the attention of the responsible staff. Inform and remind responsible staff of follow-up dates, response or specific actions, supplying supporting material as appropriate;
4. Using GSM, monitor aspects of the implementation of country activities, funds for project/programme budget levels and financial expenditures, according to the approved country workplan. Initiate and process different transactions in GSM, including procurement of goods and services. Follows up with concerned parties the receipt of deliverables and finalization of
5. Compile background material for planning, monitoring and evaluation (including minireview) exercises. Maintain and update the filing of technical documents and correspondence (soft/hard copies and databases if applicable). Create background reference material as appropriate; access and retrieve relevant material;
6. Finalize all administrative and logistics preparations required for the organization of meetings held in the country (working groups, seminars/courses, workshops) and pay per diem to participants as appropriate (if needed);
7. Respond to and act on telephone enquiries in a timely manner. Assess the critical nature of technical issues and direct them to appropriate staff for reply, coordinate appointments for supervisors, establish and maintain a proper computerized information system on MOH and UN counterparts, WHO Collaborating Centers, etc.
8. Brief colleagues on general office administrative process. Assist/replace administrative staff in the team and perform other related duties as required. Participate in field visits, if required;
Essential: Completion of secondary education supplemented by secretarial training
Desirable: University degree in business administration, social sciences or related field is an asset
Essential: At least five years’ progressive administrative experience
Desirable: Relevant experience in the UN system.
– Good filing and organizational skills.
– Ability to maintain good working relationships with staff, experts and visitors.
– Demonstrated ability to translate routine correspondence into English.
– Very good time management and stress management skills.
– Knowledge of WHO rules, manuals, practices, procedures and WHO Style Guide applicable to the administrative level an asset.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Knowing and managing yourself
Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Intermediate knowledge of English. Intermediate knowledge of Dari. Intermediate knowledge of Pashto.
WHO offers staff in the General Services category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at USD 23,641 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO prides itself on a workforce that adheres to the highest ethical and professional standards and that is committed to put the WHO Values Charter into practice.
- WHO has zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct (i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct. To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of final candidates.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.