- Organization: UNDP – United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Herat
- Grade: Level not specified – Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Administrative support
- Transport and Distribution
- Closing Date: 2023-01-16
UNDP is the leading United Nations organization fighting to end the injustice of poverty, inequality, and climate change. Working with our broad network of experts and partners in 170 countries, we help nations to build integrated, lasting solutions for people and planet. UNDP has been working in Afghanistan for more than 50 years on climate change and resilience, gender, governance, health, livelihoods, and rule of law. Under the broader framework of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and in close coordination with other UN agencies, UNDP is supporting Afghan people’s aspiration for peace, prosperity, and sustainability. Its current focus in the country is an integrated yet decentralized approach to programming known as the Area Based approach for Development Emergency Initiatives (titled the ABADEI Strategy). Central to its implementation are eight regional offices in Afghanistan, including Herat Office in the Western Region.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Driver provides reliable and safe driving and transportation services to the programme and operations personnel in the office, to consultants and experts on mission, with a client-oriented approach, demonstrates a high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact, and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, performing visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Ensures that all logistics support is provided within UNDP rules regulations, in a timely and helpful fashion to all team members.
- Provides logistics Support in the organization of workshops and seminars in accordance with project activities and workplan i.e., collecting documents from the printers, ensuring all necessary equipment and documents are delivered on time to the venue.
- Assist in both setting up and close of meetings, workshops, and other events (helping with raising pop up banners, sitting at the registration desk etc.)
- Assist with performing registry-related duties, such as photocopying bulky documents in preparation for meetings
- Assist in arranging and setting up of office equipment, furniture and office supplies when needed
- Perform all other related duties upon request
- Provide transportation of authorized personnel including translation of basic conversations from/to the local language, and/or delivery of various items/commodities following authorized routing and UN safety and security rules and regulations to ensure safe and efficient services.
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport or other entry points and provide basic assistance with visa and customs formalities to facilitate smooth and safe entry and arrival to the authorized destinations.
- Responsible for accurate maintenance of the vehicle log books, and daily reporting to the supervisor on mechanical status, to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption supporting accurate accounting and cost-efficiency.
- Responsible that the assigned vehicle is kept clean and in a good condition including all equipment, the maintenance is done on time, vehicle is fully equipped with required travel authorizations and supplies, and any mechanical issues are reported to the supervisor to ensure safe and efficient services.
- Follow established rules and regulations for field deliveries and/or in cases of an accident, and report immediately to the supervisor on any apparent problems, to seek for instructions and facilitate informed decisions on the way forward.
- Outside driving duties, perform basic office related tasks such as filing, photocopying, and maintaining stores when required including delivery/collection of various items, mailing service and payment of office telephone and other bills to ensure administrative support to clients
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Regional Area manager, the Driver will be part of a team of drivers that provides reliable and safe driving services.
|Achieve Results:||LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline|
|Think Innovatively:||LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements|
|Learn Continuously:||LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback|
|Adapt with Agility:||LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible|
|Act with Determination:||LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident|
|Engage and Partner:||LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships|
|Enable Diversity and Inclusion:||LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination|
|Cross-Functional & Technical competencies (insert up to 7 competencies)|
|Administration & Operations||Vehicle management||Knowledge of policy & procedures on fleet management|
|Administration & Operations||Registry & correspondence management||Ability to collect, register, maintain and deliver mail and UNDP pouch; ability to manage archives|
|Business Management||Communication||Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience|
|Ethics||UN Policy Ethics||Knowledge and understanding of the UN Staff Regulations and Rules and other policies relating to ethics and integrity.|
|Business Development||Knowledge Generation||Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need|
|Business Management||UNDPRepresentation||Ability to represent UNDP and productively share UNDP knowledge and activities; advocate for UNDP, its values, mission and work with various constituencies|
Required Skills and Experience
• Secondary education, Completion of High school education preferred.
• Valid driver’s license (Afghanistan).
- At least 2 years’ experience with the valid driver’s license/certification to operate assigned vehicle following local rules and regulations.
- Having formal drivers training is preferred.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.