VN 2023 180 Resources Management Officer Job at IOM in Bangladesh:
- Organization: IOM – International Organization for Migration
- Location: Dhaka
- Grade: Mid level – P-3, International Professional – Internationally recruited position
- Occupational Groups:
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2023-05-18
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a United Nations organization that assists governments and migrants, including internally displaced people, refugees, and migrant workers, with their migration-related needs. IOM was founded in 1951 and has strong relationships with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. It is the top intergovernmental organization in the subject of migration. IOM, which has 175 member states, 8 states with observer status, and offices in more than 100 nations, is committed to advancing humanitarian and orderly migration for everyone’s benefit. It does this through offering assistance and guidance to governments and migrants, advancing international migration legislation, encouraging policy discussion and advice, safeguarding the rights of migrants, integrating migration and development, and dealing with forced migration.
Main Responsibilities and Duties:
- Monitor and oversee the financial management for all activities in the Country Office (CO)
and Sub-Offices including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability; undertake
financial analysis of respective projects in coordination with Head of Resources Management
- In coordination with HRM, ensure that all finance activities are performed in accordance with
the IOM Financial, Supply Chain and Accounting Regulations. Maintain and further strengthen
appropriate internal controls to safeguard the Organization’s assets, cash and prevent fraud.
- Prepare project budgets and donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and
established procedures in coordination with Program Managers (PMs) and HRM.
- Assist the HRM in preparing the annual budget for the CO, in coordination with the relevant
PMs. Oversee budget control processes and analyse variances between budget(s) and actual
expenditures on a monthly basis. In coordination with HRM, take proactive action to prevent
projects from going into deficit.
- Forecast cash flows according to activities in IOM Bangladesh CO and ensure daily control of
funds disbursed in coordination with HRM.
Inspect payroll versus budgets, validate that salaries are correctly allocated to projects
consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Maintain financial procedures, ensure that internal administrative procedures are in place
and followed in accordance with the Organization’s regulations, procedures and practices, and
recommend modifications to or new permanent instructions and procedures. Supervise and train
staff on IOM’s administrative/financial policies and procedures; evaluate regular financial reports
and take action to resolve anomalies and unusual trends.
- Coordinate administrative and human resources policies and practices with HRM and HR
Officer; apply Organization’s HR policies, rules and regulations and make recommendations for
resolving difficult or sensitive cases in consultation with the HRM.
- Assist HRM in the supervision of the CO Human Resources function, including recruitment,
retention, promotion, separation, and other related activities, in accordance with the
Organization’s policies and procedures.
- Liaise with all other internal functional units of the CO, as well as bank, donors and
government counterparts and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the
accounting function. Review and ensure monthly accounts are closed in a timely manner in
coordination with HRM.
- Ensure that all financial transactions conducted under CO are encoded in a timely manner
and in accordance with existing rules and procedures.
- Review existing systems and procedures and, if necessary, recommend possible
improvements to strengthen internal monitoring, evaluation and control systems, and improve
efficiency and effectiveness.
- Verify all the requests for purchases in the CO, and make sure the budget is available and
proper documentation is completed and submitted in a timely manner.
- Coordinate the Supply Chain services with the Supply Chain Officer and HRM, including
contracts with suppliers of goods and services and related administrative authorities, oversee
the management of the fleet of vehicles and the maintenance of the premises as well as the
functioning of all support services at the CO
- Participate in United Nations (UN) meetings such as the UN Operations Management Team
(OMT) or ONE UN working groups when required.
- Act as Officer-in-Charge in absence of the Head of Resources Management.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Skills, Experience and Education:
- Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Management or a related
field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience;
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in IOM administrative, HR, Procurement, and financial management, budget
monitoring, cash management and internal control procedures;
- Experience supervising the development and implementation of administrative internal control
- Experience in training and managing large teams of co-workers;
- Experience on Audit processes
- Experience of providing resources management support for resettlement and migration health projects.
- Knowledge of IOM/UN finance, Supply Chain and HR procedures and rules;
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel;
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS); and,
- Knowledge of ERP systems is highly desirable.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of either
Bengali and/or other local languages is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process,
which may include written and/or oral assessments.