- Organization: WHO
- Location: Senegal
- Type: Full Time
- Job Title: Technical Officer, Operational Readiness
- Close on: 23 Mar 2023
The World Health Organization (WHO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health. It was established on April 7, 1948, with its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. WHO works to promote health, keep the world safe, and serve the vulnerable. It provides leadership on global health matters, shapes the health research agenda, sets norms and standards, and provides technical support to countries. WHO’s priorities include combating infectious diseases, promoting healthy lifestyles, addressing non-communicable diseases, and strengthening health systems. The organization works with governments, non-governmental organizations, and other partners to ensure that everyone can achieve the highest possible level of health.
About WHO Jobs in Senegal-Technical Officer, Operational Readiness
The goal of the WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to increase Member States’ capacity to manage health emergency risks and, in the event that national resources are exhausted, to direct and coordinate the global health response to outbreaks and other emergencies, as well as to effectively provide aid and assistance to those in need.
The Technical Officer – Operational Readiness will serve as the primary focal point on operational readiness issues for the East and Southern African nations within the framework of the WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme and within the Emergency Preparedness Programme (EMP). The incumbent will see to it that the at-risk and impacted nations are as prepared as possible for the major features of the WHO incident management system and the top priorities.
The incumbent will collaborate with the AFRO and HQ to create and use tools for operational readiness assessment at the national and sub-national levels of countries, as well as to set up a monitoring system for countries’ emergency preparedness based on country risk profiles, with road maps to close any gaps. The incumbent will be active in member state capacity building to improve operational readiness as needed.
WHO Jobs in Senegal-Technical Officer, Operational Readiness Requirments
- a graduate degree in epidemiology, statistics, or public health from an acknowledged or reputable university (master’s level or higher).
- emergency management training or education; organizational development and/or change management in a humanitarian setting
- a minimum of 7 years of expertise in alert, response, and assessment of readiness to emergencies at the national and international levels, along with solid experience in collaborating with various organizations and negotiating under challenging circumstances.
- Excellent knowledge of French
- Intermediate knowledge of English
How to Apply?
- Review job requirements: Before applying for a job, make sure you review the job requirements carefully. This will help you determine if you meet the qualifications for the job.
- Prepare your application: When you find a job vacancy that you are interested in, prepare your application. This will typically include a cover letter and resume/CV. Be sure to tailor your application to the specific job requirements.
- Submit your application: Once you have prepared your application, submit it through the UN Careers Portal. You can also track the status of your application through the portal.
- Wait for a response: The UN receives a large number of applications for each job vacancy, so it may take some time for you to hear back about your application. Be patient and check the status of your application regularly on the UN Careers Portal.