- Organization: FAO
- Location: Pakistan/Islamabad
- Job Type: Full Time
- Job Title: Operations Officer
- Close on: 4 Apr 2023
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger and promote sustainable agriculture. It was founded in 1945 and has its headquarters in Rome, Italy.
FAO’s mission is to help build a world without hunger, malnutrition, and poverty by promoting the growth of sustainable agriculture, fisheries, and forestry. It supports developing countries and countries in transition in their efforts to improve agriculture, forestry, and fisheries practices and ensure good nutrition for all.
Also, Apply: UN Jobs in Ethiopia-Shipping Assistant
FAO works in over 130 countries worldwide, providing technical assistance, policy advice, and support to governments, civil society, and the private sector. Its main areas of work include food security and nutrition, sustainable agriculture, fisheries and aquaculture, forestry, and rural development.
FAO also leads global initiatives to combat climate change and promote biodiversity conservation, aiming to ensure a healthy and sustainable planet for future generations.
About UN Jobs in Islamabad-Operations Officer
Under the general supervision of the Deputy FAOR and the Assistant FAOR-Program, the Operations officer reports to the FAO Representative (FAOR) in Pakistan. He or she will cooperate closely with FAO Pakistan, the FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP), and FAO headquarters as well as the administration, operations, finance, and communication teams, and consult with the pertinent technical units.
oversees and directs the field program’s operational support function, which includes development, disaster relief, and restoration initiatives.
Effective and effective coordination is necessary, as is the provision of operational support for the project and program operations on the ground.
Manages day-to-day operations on matters relating to the implementation of FAO field programmes, including emergency, rehabilitation and development project operations;
• Participates in the design and formulation of project proposals, ensures quality assurance under different funding arrangements;
• Coordinates project budget preparation, financial control, human resource management, travel, logistics, missions and operation backstopping to field offices;
• Oversees the support and strengthening of the operational structure, including training of national personnel, to ensure the necessary operational capacity is maintained for the implementation of the FAO field programme;
• Coordinates the preparation of emergency, rehabilitation and development project work plans, monitors progress and identifies corrective measures to overcome operational constraints;
• Liaises with FAO technical units to ensure technical quality in programme and project activities;
• Analyses the Government requests for emergency, rehabilitation and development assistance and develops project and programme proposals to mobilize donor (and aid programmes of the UN system) funds for FAO operations in line with the Country Programming Framework (CPF);
• Supports resource mobilization efforts by liaising with donors, (in line with the Resource Mobilization Strategy);
• Coordinates the preparation of briefs, financial and programme/project implementation reports, including final statements to governments and donors;
• Builds and maintains partnerships with relevant stakeholders and/or partners to develop capacity for efficient field programme/project delivery;
• Coordinates field monitoring, programming and assessment missions as required to assess the emerging needs and implementation of the project as well as to plan project activities;
• Liaises with other UN organizations and partners (non-governmental organizations, national authorities and donors, etc.) at the appropriate level on emergency response and development assistance;
• Coordinates and participates in technical and international meetings;
• Performs other related duties as required.
UN Jobs in Islamabad-Operations Officer Requirments
- advanced university degree in a field relating to the Organization’s mission, such as agriculture, economics, business administration, and management, or international relations;
- seven years of experience managing, running, and assisting emergency-rehabilitation-and-development programs;
- Proficient level C working knowledge of English and intermediate level B working knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
How to Apply?
- Prepare your application: You will need to prepare a cover letter and a curriculum vitae (CV) to submit with your application. Your cover letter should highlight your qualifications and experience as they relate to the job requirements. Your CV should provide detailed information about your education, work experience, skills, and achievements.
- Submit your application: Once you have created a profile and prepared your application documents, you can submit your application online through the FAO careers website.
- Wait for a response: After submitting your application, FAO will review your documents and will contact you if you are selected for an interview.
Note that the application process may vary depending on the job you are applying for, so make sure to read the job description carefully and follow the application instructions provided.