The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger and promote sustainable agriculture. It was founded in 1945 and has its headquarters in Rome, Italy.
FAO’s mission is to help build a world without hunger, malnutrition, and poverty by promoting the growth of sustainable agriculture, fisheries, and forestry. It supports developing countries and countries in transition in their efforts to improve agriculture, forestry, and fisheries practices and ensure good nutrition for all.
Also, Apply: UN Jobs in Ethiopia-Shipping Assistant
FAO works in over 130 countries worldwide, providing technical assistance, policy advice, and support to governments, civil society, and the private sector. Its main areas of work include food security and nutrition, sustainable agriculture, fisheries and aquaculture, forestry, and rural development.
FAO also leads global initiatives to combat climate change and promote biodiversity conservation, aiming to ensure a healthy and sustainable planet for future generations.
Under the general supervision of the Deputy FAOR and the Assistant FAOR-Program, the Operations officer reports to the FAO Representative (FAOR) in Pakistan. He or she will cooperate closely with FAO Pakistan, the FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP), and FAO headquarters as well as the administration, operations, finance, and communication teams, and consult with the pertinent technical units.
oversees and directs the field program’s operational support function, which includes development, disaster relief, and restoration initiatives.
Effective and effective coordination is necessary, as is the provision of operational support for the project and program operations on the ground.
Manages day-to-day operations on matters relating to the implementation of FAO field programmes, including emergency, rehabilitation and development project operations;
• Participates in the design and formulation of project proposals, ensures quality assurance under different funding arrangements;
• Coordinates project budget preparation, financial control, human resource management, travel, logistics, missions and operation backstopping to field offices;
• Oversees the support and strengthening of the operational structure, including training of national personnel, to ensure the necessary operational capacity is maintained for the implementation of the FAO field programme;
• Coordinates the preparation of emergency, rehabilitation and development project work plans, monitors progress and identifies corrective measures to overcome operational constraints;
• Liaises with FAO technical units to ensure technical quality in programme and project activities;
• Analyses the Government requests for emergency, rehabilitation and development assistance and develops project and programme proposals to mobilize donor (and aid programmes of the UN system) funds for FAO operations in line with the Country Programming Framework (CPF);
• Supports resource mobilization efforts by liaising with donors, (in line with the Resource Mobilization Strategy);
• Coordinates the preparation of briefs, financial and programme/project implementation reports, including final statements to governments and donors;
• Builds and maintains partnerships with relevant stakeholders and/or partners to develop capacity for efficient field programme/project delivery;
• Coordinates field monitoring, programming and assessment missions as required to assess the emerging needs and implementation of the project as well as to plan project activities;
• Liaises with other UN organizations and partners (non-governmental organizations, national authorities and donors, etc.) at the appropriate level on emergency response and development assistance;
• Coordinates and participates in technical and international meetings;
• Performs other related duties as required.
Note that the application process may vary depending on the job you are applying for, so make sure to read the job description carefully and follow the application instructions provided.
Other similar jobs that might interest you